Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starbarksdog411 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 10:21 AM
    Dachshund puppy eating poop
    My eight month old dachshund has a problem with eating her own poop and other dog's. This is really disgusting, and I've never had to deal with it before. She's thrown up before, and we have so far just kept her away from poop. I'm wondering if there are any suggestions for anything to make her waste smell or taste gross. I heard fig newtons, but that didn't work. Please help!
    xoxaprilwine Posts: 582, Reputation: 71

Mar 15, 2009, 10:24 AM

Tabasco sauce works... we used it on cables and stuff that was dangerous for our puppy. As it goes for eating poop... hehe, ours did that too... except she would roll and smear herself into it... we got really mad at her especially if the accident happened in the house. We continually enforced that it was bad and shoved her nose in it. Your pup should grow out of that soon enough.
    Darlyene Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Mar 15, 2009, 10:33 AM

There are things that you can buy over the counter but they only work sometime. This disgusting habit is perfectly natural for dogs. And they love cat poop the best. This goes back to their natural survival instincts. It does not hurt them as they can digest and neutralize most bacteria. It just makes us squeamish.
    You can try meat tenderizer on her food. It is suppose to change the odor and taste of the stool so it is not as desirable as it was plain.

Mar 15, 2009, 10:41 AM
    Please don't shove her nose into it. She isn't able to rationalize so she really doesn't know why you are doing such a disgusting thing to her. If you are close enough to put Tabasco sauce on the poop then you are close enough to pick it up and discard it in the toilet or outside trash.
    This is perfectly natural for her to do so she does not know she is doing anything wrong. If you see her go for the poop make a loud noise to redirect her interest and pick it up out of her reach.
    xoxaprilwine Posts: 582, Reputation: 71

Mar 15, 2009, 10:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Darlyene View Post
    Please don't shove her nose into it. She isn't able to rationalize so she really doesn't know why you are doing such a disgusting thing to her. If you are close enough to put Tabasco sauce on the poop then you are close enough to pick it up and discard it in the toilet or outside trash.
    This is perfectly natural for her to do so she does not know she is doing anything wrong. If you see her go for the poop make a loud noise to redirect her interest and pick it up out of her reach.
    I can see where you come from with the nose thing but we took our dog to training school (which every one is different) and with a stern voice and No (along with a happy yes (she learned the difference))... she got it after a few weeks and stopped eating and smothering it. We had her litter trained in 3 weeks... she never pooped in the house after that (or at least until Christmas where she left us a surprise under the tree :))... we used Tabasco sauce on the cables not on the poop and of course I am going to clean it up since I don't care for it in the house nor my daughter to help herself to it either (haha) and there are laws in effect that on walks we pick up (as a responsible pet owner). That's just what I went through but every dog is different and they have their own personalities so what worked for me may not work for someone else. I found Kiesha really easy to train... she is a Frisbee dog not like our German Shepard... but it takes time and reinforcement, consistency, patience and love. I always praised her for doing the right thing... she got it eventually.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2009, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xoxaprilwine View Post
    I can see where you come from with the nose thing but we took our dog to training school (which every one is different) and with a stern voice and No (along with a happy yes (she learned the difference.

Training school advise you to shove her nose into it?

"We continually enforced that it was bad and shoved her nose in it. "
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Mar 15, 2009, 10:46 PM

Have you spoken to your vet about this? Some dogs eat their poop because they have a medical problem like an inflammatory bowel disease or not enough digestive enzymes. Some dogs simply like the taste. I would suggest making sure you rule out a medical cause.

They also have tablets that are suppose to help stop the problem that you may consider getting your dog.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2009, 11:54 AM

I love the way grown women can't handle their own on the Internet and then have Mommy Dearest come running to their rescue :)
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2009, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    I love the way grown women can't handle their own on the Internet and then have Mommy Dearest come running to their rescue :)

Actually I think it's pretend Mommy-in-Law. No two people could be this juvenile.

Just like I'm not typing this. My evil twin is.

Actually I have a question - when it's obvious alias abuse (and the person is "pulled" for that reason) why is only the SECOND name suspended - ?

Mar 17, 2009, 09:50 AM

What are you talking about? I don't see where that has anything to do with a dog eating Poop.
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2009, 09:58 AM
    What are you talking about? I don't see where that has anything to do with a dog eating Poop.

That's because you can't read the deleted posts.

Mar 17, 2009, 10:24 AM

Oh Okay, Why were they deleted?
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2009, 11:12 AM

The thread was turning into a chat board and some of the posts were very inappropriate. So the mods pulled them.
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2009, 12:17 PM
    Oh Okay, Why were they deleted?

Because they were rude, offensive and posted by one person using two names.
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2009, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Because they were rude, offensive and posted by one person using two names.
    Duh, Judy. If you had actually READ the posts, you would have know it was April's mother-in-law... maybe next time you'll pay more attention and stop criticizing everyone! *insert sarcasm here*
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2009, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    Duh, Judy. If you had actually READ the posts, you would have know it was April's mother-in-law...maybe next time you'll pay more attention and stop criticizing everyone!! *insert sarcasm here*

Yes, you are right. I apologize. It was her mother in law who knew what she was thinking and what she wrote me by private PM.

I apologize - maybe I should follow her suggestion concerning poop and teach myself a lesson.

<hanging my head in shame>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog/puppy eating poop [ 2 Answers ]

This has only just started. My dog is now 11 months old and has just decided to start eating poop, not his own I might add. As we are out walking and some takes his fancy, he will eat it. I have told him off to no avail, growling and saying bad dog etc, but this doesn't appear to work. I am...

Eating cat poop [ 11 Answers ]

Some dogs that I know are eating cat poop. I've tried everything I can think of from supplimenting the diet, to keeping it away, to yelling, to sprays. I'm not sure what to do. I wonder what would draw a dog to cat poop?

Why does my Dachshund poop in his crate? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 8 month old puppy (Bailey) that is perfect in every way except that he poops in his crate. He never has accidents in the house. He sleeps with us at night, all night with no problems. When we go to visit his brother that DOES NOT go in his crate, Bailey holds it all day while they are...

Puppy eating his own poop [ 21 Answers ]

I have an 8 month old black lab who eats his own poop and I cannot figure out why. Does anyone know why puppies do this? I try to keep him away from it but he is so quick sometimes! Is there something he is lacking in his diet? Thanks for the help.

View more questions Search