Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bjamm Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 07:46 PM
    Installing water line for coke machine from existing laundry room waterline
    Hello all,

First time poster here...

What Im wanting to do is install a Soda Fountain in my laundry room for fresh carbonated beverages :)

I bought a used Cornelious 8head dispenser that looks like this..

What I need to do now is get a water hookup line for it. I am hoping I can just tap off my washers cold water line and let it run. My only concern is the drainage I believe since it is carbonated it could cause damage?

Im not a plumber so I ask your expertise in what I need to do. Here are pictures of my laundry room and the hookups I have. If it can be done by me or if I need a plumber.. just let me know your recommendations.

Thanks guys
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 15, 2009, 05:26 AM
    Will this machine dispense canned drinks or does it mix syrup and carbonated water to make its own? If it makes its own drinks do you need a license to operate it? Will a permit have to be pulled and the installation inspected? What material is your drainage? I would think you would want to filter the water before it gets into the machine. Do you have a floor drain near where you can drain the machine with a indirect waste? In short I need more information and details. Back to you, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 15, 2009, 05:44 AM
    Tom is asking right questions... However, looking at the photo I am sure it is not can dispensing machine...

I believe this soda dispenser needs 3/8" supply. You can buy T-attachment from Home Depot. You remove Cold water hose, screw on the T attachment, and reinstall the hose on the other end of the attachment. Then, take your water supply from the T outlet. You will definitely need an In-Line filter.

Otherwise, you have to cut drywall below the recessed box, solder in new 1/2" T and install 1/2" x 3/8"Compression angle stop. Than, you have dedicated water supply with valve.

Also, it may need its own In-Line water pressure regulator...

But your problem is called Drain. Aside from water supply, this dispenser needs "spill tray" drain. It usually is 3/4" PVC line that drains overflow from the fountain to floor drain. Also, I see it has Ice Storage Box on top of the dispenser which will definitely need to be drained... When you open drywall to install new dedicated angle stop, you can cut in ABS/PVC "Y" for drainage.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bjamm View Post
    Hello all,

First time poster here...

What Im wanting to do is install a Soda Fountain in my laundry room for fresh carbonated beverages :)

I bought a used Cornelious 8head dispenser that looks like this..

What I need to do now is get a water hookup line for it. I am hoping I can just tap off my washers cold water line and let it run. My only concern is the drainage i beleive since it is carbonated it could cause damage?

Im not a plumber so I ask your expertise in what I need to do. Here are pictures of my laundry room and the hookups I have. If it can be done by me or if I need a plumber .. just let me know your recommendations.

Thanks guys
    You really need to suck it up and pay a professional installer to do the installation.

An improperly installed carbonation system can lead to copper sulfate poisoning.

Copper sulfate poisoning can happen when carbonated water (CO2) comes into contact with copper.

A Reduced Pressure Backflow Preventer needs to be installed at the water source and then the piping between the outlet of the RPBV and the inlet of the carbonator must contain no copper tubing.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 15, 2009, 06:25 AM
    Hi all...

Bjamm.. answer Speedball's questions so we know best how to advise you.

Where I come from I only need to provide a 3/8" cold water feed and then the soda equipment people install the filter, the RPBP, and the proper tubing in between all fittings...

Check with the equipment guys and see what they want you to provide... if it is a 3/8" compression fitting then go with Milo's ideas... ;)

If it is more than that then stick with Iamgrowler... he's spot on!

As already suggested, it is the drain line that could be more problematic for you.

Let us know more details.

MARK

Mar 15, 2009, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Will this machine dispense canned drinks or does it mix syrup and carbonated water to make its own? If it makes its own drinks do you need a license to operate it? Will a permit have to be pulled and the installation inspected? What material is your drainage? I would think you would want to filter the water before it gets into the machine. Do you have a floor drain near where you can drain the machine with a indirect waste? In short I need more information and details. Back to you, Tom

This machine will dispense fountain drinks. It mixes the syrup and carbonated water on its own. I have a separate carbonator for this. This is kind of like the same system you would see at a restaurant or gas station to fill your cup with soda. I do want to install a water filter line as well. I will probably get a reverse osmosis setup from what Im looking at.

Im not sure what the drainage is yet, From what I can tell it is a plastic pvc pipe from the washer (The middle hole in the picture).

There is no floor drain. I was hoping to be able to use the washer water drain (Between the cold and hot water hookup is the drain) as well if possible. However I knew CO2 mixing with copper was dangerous so that's why I posted to ask as I've never done anything like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    Tom is asking right questions... However, looking at the photo I am sure it is not can dispensing machine...

I believe this soda dispenser needs 3/8" supply. You can buy T-attachment from Home Depot. You remove Cold water hose, screw on the T attachment, and reinstall the hose on the other end of the attachment. Then, take your water supply from the T outlet. You will definitely need an In-Line filter.

Otherwise, you have to cut drywall below the recessed box, solder in new 1/2" T and install 1/2" x 3/8"Compression angle stop. Than, you have dedicated water supply with valve.

Also, it may need its own In-Line water pressure regulator....

But your problem is called Drain. Aside from water supply, this dispenser needs "spill tray" drain. It usually is 3/4" PVC line that drains overflow from the fountain to floor drain. Also, I see it has Ice Storage Box on top of the dispenser which will definitely need to be drained... When you open drywall to install new dedicated angle stop, you can cut in ABS/PVC "Y" for drainage.
    Yes I believe all it needs is its own 3/8" supply. I figured I could get something at home depot as you said. Thank you. I'll be looking for filters this week for carbonated beverages. Im not sure it needs the water regulator because the compressor already has a 2 gauge regulator on it. It does have an Ice storage box. However I don't think I will use it. It does not have an icemaker and only dispenses ice I put in there myself so I will proably just get ice from my regular refrigerator and just get coke/drinks out of here instead.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 15, 2009, 09:30 AM
    Growler nailed it. You need a pro to do the installation and steer you clear of any health hazards and code violations. I don't know about private use but don't these dispensers need to be licensed by the Health Department? Cheers, Tom

Mar 15, 2009, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi all...

Bjamm..answer Speedball's questions so we know best how to advise you.

Where I come from I only need to provide a 3/8" cold water feed and then the soda equipment people install the filter, the RPBP, and the proper tubing in between all fittings....

Check with the equipment guys and see what they want you to provide...if it is a 3/8" compression fitting then go with Milo's ideas...;)

If it is more than that then stick with Iamgrowler....he's spot on!

As already suggested, it is the drain line that could be more problematic for you.

Let us know more details.

MARK
    Well I did buy this machine privately from a closed down pizza store and will be installing it into my home. I go through enough soda around here that it merits the cost so there won't be any soda people installing anythingg I pretty much have to do it myself. I doubt coke would provide support to a small home user lol. From everything I was told/read, it is just a 3/8" water hookup that I need. My main concern is the drain. What do I need to check or look for so I know how to properly drain the overflow

Mar 15, 2009, 09:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Growler nailed it. You need a pro to do the installation and steer you clear of any health hazards and code violations. I dunno about private use but don't these dispensers need to be licensed by the Health Department? Cheers, Tom
    If I do need a professional to install it what would you say would be a good quote for a professional looking install.
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 09:41 AM
    Well I did buy this machine privately from a closed down pizza store and will be installing it into my home. I go through enough soda around here that it merits the cost so there won't be any soda people installing anythingg i pretty much have to do it myself. I doubt coke would provide support to a small home user lol. From everything i was told/read, it is just a 3/8" water hookup that I need. My main concern is the drain. What do I need to check or look for so I know how to properly drain the overflow
    If the water source comes from the copper water piping in the house, then you still need to provide a RPBP.

I cannot stress this enough, bjamm...

As for the drain -- You can tie it into the clotheswasher drain box -- Provided you leave a 1" air gap.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 15, 2009, 09:42 AM

Even if you manually fill up the Ice Container with ice cubes, you will still need to drain it somewhere. Ice will slowly thaw producing water. You don't want your ice cubes to be submerge in standing water and to come out wet and half way melted.
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 09:47 AM
    If I do need a professional to install it what would you say would be a good quote for a professional looking install.
    Figger about $200 - $250 dollars for the RPBP.

About $150 - $200 for the permit for the RP device and inspection.

Another $50 - $75 for other misc. parts.

And about 3 to 4 hours of labor.

The RPBP will have to be inspected once a year for as long as you have it, so factor in another $100 per year.

Mar 15, 2009, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler View Post
    If the water source comes from the copper water piping in the house, then you still need to provide a RPBP.

I cannot stress this enough, bjamm...

As for the drain -- You can tie it into the clotheswasher drain box -- Provided you leave a 1" air gap.

Yeah the water source just comes from the house plumbing. Can I get an rpbp from home depot and do myself or is this a professional type of item? Any specific one or are they all the same? So I just need to protect the carbonation from getting into the inlet valve and don't need to worry about the drain water?

Sorry for so many questions! I really appreciate the advice.
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 10:02 AM
    Yeah the water source just comes from the house plumbing. Can I get an rpbp from home depot and do myself or is this a professional type of item? Any specific one or are they all the same? So I just need to protect the carbonation from getting into the inlet valve and dont need to worry about the drain water?
    It is "a professional type item" that has several installation requirements (height clearances above, below and in front of for accessibility of testing ports).

And it must be tested by a licensed tester before it can be used -- And then tested yearly to make sure it is still operating properly.

I'm really not trying to pee in your Cornflakes here, bjamm -- But copper sulfate poisoning is kind of like Legionnaires disease -- Nobody really knows what to look for until the damage has already been done.

Mar 15, 2009, 10:22 AM

Oh OK thanks. Ill have someone come out and take a look at it for me then. I didn't realize it was this major to install a soda machine in my home. :(
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 15, 2009, 11:11 AM
    It's impossible to estimate a job such as yours without being on the job site to check it out. You cold still do the workyour self and save big bucks, But the general opinion is that you could use some guidance. A sharp plumber could get you started on the right track and be familiar with local codes. Best of luck, Tom
    wolverine7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2011, 01:20 PM
    bjamm,

I'm curious to hear how this all turned out for you. I stumbled across this article, and am actually in process of doing the same thing (fountain above washer in laundry room renovation). I am planning on putting a tee in the cold water line with a separate shutoff, just in case I need to use the cold water, however the primary plan is to tie into my reverse osmosis water system (tastes much better than tap water).
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 11, 2011, 01:37 PM

HI Wolverine...

This post goes back to 2009, so doubt bjamm will be back anytime too soon.

Can we help?
    wolverine7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2011, 03:37 PM
    Well the one question I did have was related to the use of RO water. I understand that brass/copper is not a good choice due to the water wanting to pick up trace amounts of metals. As such, I'm planning to use polyethylene tubing and stainless parts wherever possible. Any other advice on expanding a RO system, adding additional bladder tanks to keep a larger reserve of water stored up?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 12, 2011, 07:39 AM

Nothing much to add here... I've never seen anyone use larger tanks for a reservoir so it shouldn't be needed, yet, somehow, I'm thinking it may be a good idea!

It may be a good idea to call the RO filter manufacturer for an opinion on this... ;)

Good luck with it.

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a laundry room sink [ 1 Answers ]

My laundry room sink has a huge crack in it and I need another to avoid plumbing costs my husband was going to install it... any ideas or tips on how

No water in kitchen or laundry room [ 1 Answers ]

We just had a mobile home set up. We will have a septic and city water. When we turned the water on, we have water outside and water everywhere inside except the kitchen and laundry room. The flow is good in all faucets, the shower and toilet, but nothing comes out of the kitchen faucet or the...

Washing machine water coming into laundry tub [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all! I recently got a plumber to install a new laundry tub and faucet. Ever since this was done, when I run the washing machine, the water is coming into the tub up through the drain, then draining out afterwards. This never happened with the old laundry tub. It's a bit annoying because I...

Installing a utility sink in the laundry room [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I want to hook up a utility sink next to my washing machine on the first floor. The washer discharges into a standpipe. The standpipe has a trap, and then connects through a tee to a vertical waste pipe (drain stack?) that goes upstairs through the roof as a vent. Below this tee, there is...

View more questions Search