Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nalliahd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 08:38 PM
    Installing waste pipe supply pipes for a washing machine in the basement
    I want to install the washing machine in the basement. There is a 2" kitchen waste pipe 2' away from the proposed washing machine location. The kitchen waste pipe is connected to the 4" sanitary sewer below the basement floor. There is also a 2" vent pipe that is connected to the kitchen waste pipe. I have two options with connecting the washing machine waste pipe, one is through the basement floor or along the basement wall. The latter will have two 90 bends. Can I use the second option? Do I need to run a separate vent pipe from the washing machine waste pipe to the kitchen vent pipe?
    bones252100 Posts: 253, Reputation: 29

Mar 14, 2009, 09:26 PM

Washing machines do not require vent pipes. The basement wall plan would be the easier option.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 15, 2009, 05:33 AM
    Hi Guys:

Bones is wrong about the washing machine vent....sorry bones... ;)

All fixtures with a trap require a separate vent.. there area some exceptions in that we can wet vent certain fixtures, but these fixtures are stilll considered vented as they are using a vent from another fixture to be vented... complicated to explain, but all fixtures require a vent! Washing machines cannot be wet vented.

If you did not individually vent the washing machine by running it up and connecting it into the kitchen sink vent then when the kitchen sink waste passed the washing machine ptrap it could be siphoned of its water or bubble/gurgle, etc... both allowing sewer gasses to enter into the home... a health hazard no doubt!

Anyway, you can cut into the 2" kitchen sink drain pipe and install a 2" sanitary tee fitting (using shielded clamps... see picture), install an 1.5" vent and a 2" ptrap with a 30" standpipe. The 1.5" vent will need to run upstairs and connect into the kitchen sink vent at 48" off the finish floor (on 1st floor). If that proves difficult then you want to look around the basement to see if there are any other vents that you can connect into.

Worst case, you may be able to install an automatic air vent (AAV... see picture #2) in place of running the vent pipe upstairs. Be clear that the AAV may not be code legal in your area and that these vents can fail (mechanical parts) and will most likely need to be replaced down the road. These vents cannot be installed inside a wall unless there is an access panel installed for future access.

Check out the pic. Below. I did not include the two 90s you mentioned and I guessed on a couple things. Let me know if I am in the park anyway.

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing machine overflow but main supply/machine were off [ 10 Answers ]

Went away on Tues and came back today. Before I left I shut off the main water supply at the hot water heater. I turned on fawcett in the kitchen to see if it was off. Trickled for a second so I assumed it was off. Came back tonight and washing machine was filled to the top and I think it...

Toilet waste back up into washing machine sink [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, in our 1910 house, it seems the toilet waste is backing up into the washing machine drainage sink. The machine is in the basement and the two toilets are on the upper floor. one on the first, one on the second, no new construction has happened. The machine does not back up on its own. It has...

Washing machine to sink waste? [ 3 Answers ]

This question has been asked many times I'm sure but I've attached a sketch of my condition... can any when tell me if this will work? Or should I use the standard washing machine p-trap assembly? I just thought it would be better to have the washing machine drain into it's own 2" line then...

Installing Waste Pipe in a Concrete Slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am extending my shed and adding an outside Bathroom, with a toilet, shower and basin. The flooe will be poured concrete. My questions are 1. Do I need to cover the Pipe before I pour the concrete 2. What drop / sloop needs to be in the waste pipe 3. How far should the waste pipes be below the...

Installing Basement Shower Drain with Washing Machine Drain [ 5 Answers ]

Hi folks: I would like to install a shower that drains into the same drain as my washing machine. Right now the washing machine drain, 1-1/2" ABS, comes in horizontally about 12" above the concrete floor into a 1-1/2" Tee on a vertical pipe. From this Tee, the vent goes straight up to the...

View more questions Search