Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Woody46 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 05:34 PM
    Sewer cleanout
    How di I find my sewer cleanout in a older house?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2009, 05:40 PM

Look for the 3" cast or Pvc pipe that all the sewer goes into. It should either go in the floor by a wall somewhere or through the foundation wall. It should look like a Tee fitting with a cap on it or a Y fitting with a cap. Flush the toilet and listen to where the water goes. The main line hopefully has on one.

Do you have cast iron pipe or PVC?

Is it a row home?

There could also be one in the yard right outside where the main line goes out of house

Describe the house layout and is there a basement.

So look for the last drainage point in the house and it should be on or at that main line if one is there

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2009, 07:39 PM

If you live in a house opposed to an Apt, look on the roof just above the bathroom. You may see two or three pipes sticking through the roof, one will be bigger than the others.

Now remember where the pipe is located and go into the bathroom, does it seem like that the pipe would be right behind the bathroom. If it does you sewer pipe might come out of the house in a straight line from the pipe on the roof. This applies if the city sewer line runs in the back of your house, if the city runs in front of your house it may be in about the same location in front of the house.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 14, 2009, 07:47 PM

Older home, how old? Not every old house has a clean out but they all need them. If you don't find one inisde on the verticle drain pipe coming into the basement there could be a clean out cap on the floor. Like others have said maybe outside 18" from the foundation but they could be buried by years of gardening.
    duke0916 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 07:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody46 View Post
    How di I find my sewer cleanout in a older house?
    First look under house to find where a 3 or 4 inch PVC, Cast iron, or galvanized pipe comes out of the house. Hint all other lines will tie into this one. When you find this remember where it is and go outside and locate where it is coming out. We use a ground probe at work whish is basically a big "T" shaped rod with a pointed tip which you insert into the ground until you hit pipe. Be careful if PVC you can punch a hole in it! If you don't find one within 10ft of the house, I would recommend cutting the pipe and putting one in close to the house.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 15, 2009, 05:56 AM

Our Code mandates clean outs within 24"of exterior foundations for many years. As mentioned previously, Yes, it can be buried few inches bellow the ground.

As far as approximate location of your sewer line is: Look on the roof to see how your plumbing vents line up. Also, if you have downstairs bathroom on front wall of the house, than, toilet will tell you which way the sewer exits the house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a cleanout on my main sewer? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, My neighbor and I will be digging a 9 foot deep hole on the side of my house to access my main sewer line which is about 3 feet inside the foundation of my house. Can anyone tell me the level of difficulty of this job... and how to do it? I want to install a cleanout so I can have access...

Replacing a sewer cleanout [ 1 Answers ]

My drains backed up and the roto-rooter guy that came out determined that the problem was large tree roots blocking the sewer line outside the house. I have a cleanout right outside the front of the house that he snaked a camera down and said that there is another cleanout right near the sidewalk...

How to clean a sewer cleanout [ 1 Answers ]

How Do You Clean A Sewer Cleanout?

Sewer cleanout placement [ 2 Answers ]

First a little setup. This is for a septic system installation and deals only with the sewer line between the house and septic tank. Code and good construction calls for a sewer cleanout within a few feet of the foundation, where the pipe exits the house, so you can snake the line between the house...

Sewer cleanout [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, we had a backup and plumber had to use roof vent to clean it out. I have looked all over for a cleanout and have not located it yet, and don't know if we have one or not. I read about putting snake down toilet and using metal detecter but have none of those things. Is there a way I might find...

View more questions Search