Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hphnc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 02:18 PM
    Slate cover for cracked concrete patio
    I live in the southeast and have a concrete patio that extends into a concrete floored screened in porch. The concrete has cracked in several places. The house is 10 years old and the concrete has several large cracks in both the screened area and the patio.

I would like to cover the concrete with a material such as tiles or slate. Can I cover a cracked concrete patio with tiles and/or slate? What is the best material?

Thanks
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2009, 03:19 PM

Don't know if you have the depth of the floor to do this but brick paver's dry laid in sand would cover all and no cracks later.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 9, 2009, 03:44 PM

A cracked concrete patio is not a good candidate for tiling with cermic, porcelein or slate. 21boats suggestion would be perfect if you have the depth for brick.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2009, 06:49 AM

Excellent solution from 21boat. You don't say how wide the cracks are but you may need to seal them. If water into cracks can reach the foundation they especially need a permanent seal or even a drain. Large cracks in concrete can indicate a soil problem under the concrete. Or the cracks may have been hairline expansion/contraction cracks to start with, but water seeping into the soil lessened the support and cracks widened at the patio and inside the screened in porch. If there is a water problem, now is the time to address it.
    hphnc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hphnc View Post
    I live in the southeast and have a concrete patio that extends into a concrete floored screened in porch. The concrete has cracked in several places. The house is 10 years old and the concrete has several large cracks in both the screened area and the patio.

I would like to cover the concrete with a material such as tiles or slate. Can I cover a cracked concrete patio with tiles and/or slate? what is the best material?

Thanks
    Thanks for your responses! Please forgive the ignorance, but when you say you are not sure I have the depth for brick pavers, do you mean basically for screen door clearances? The patio is about 3.5 inches thick with one expansion joint and one crack that extends from one end of the patio to the other end. The width of the crack is less than 1/8 of an inch. The porch covered part of the slab has 2 cracks that extend from one end to the other, but are less than 1/8 of an inch as well. Do pavers come in different profiles? When you set pavers on concrete, do you place them directly on clean concrete and backfill with sand or create a layer of sand first and backfill cracks of pavers also? Thanks!
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    Do paver's come in different profiles? When you set paver's on concrete, do you place them directly on clean concrete and backfill with sand or create a layer of sand first and backfill cracks of paver's also? thanks!
    Yes the do come in different thickness. Normally the thinner ones are set in mortar. The thicker paver's are set in sand with a " quarry dust " crushed base under that. The depth we were referring to. Is there room for a door to open or steps may play a factor here.

Treat the concrete like the stone base. If full paver's work I would use two substrates here. A 1/2 of rice mix stone, and then the sand base. If the room is tight I would mix in the stone "rice" in with the sand to set paver's. What I'm after here is getting the water under the brick to drain better since this is over concrete and not stone bas for it to drain. This may help from moss starting on the brick if its in a semi shaded area. Either or the better water leaves from under the brick the better.

One other possibility here is set the thinner paver's in mortar but No visible mortar side joints. The brick can move a bit but it looks dry laid to the eye. Just use sand to fill in the tight laid brick. Never tried this before, but my theory is many patios that are all mortared in brick look bad because the mortar joints are cracked or falling out. My suggestion is lay it like a dry laid brick with the sand for joints but they are set in mortar. If they shift a bit you won't be able to tell unless the actual brick cracks.

Just a thought.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slate tile on a concrete patio [ 2 Answers ]

Can I just lay slate tile over a concrete patio without any bond material butting edges and them water treating the suface

Slate Tile Over Concrete Patio [ 3 Answers ]

Please Help! I've decided to place Slate Tile over my existing concrete patio. Grooves have been designed into the patio for a decorative effect as well as to allow for expansion. Originally, I had planned to fill in the grooved areas with a patching compound to level the surface and lay...

Laying slate on exterior concrete [ 2 Answers ]

I want to lay some slate pieces on an exterior concrete porch. What do I use to stick the slate to the concrete? Also, what kind of group should I use for exterior?

New Patio Over Cracked Cement? [ 3 Answers ]

Our patio has cracked and is sinking toward the house foundation (4 to 6 inches). The house and patio are about 20 years old. Can we backfill over the existing concrete to provide a slope away from the house? I was hoping to save work and dollars only if this is a smart option. We would...

Fixing a concrete/ slate porch [ 2 Answers ]

Our house has a front porch that is concrete and has what looks like slate tiles embedded in the center. There is a small crack in the porch which is letting water into the small closet (inside the house) under the porch. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what we can do to fix this? TIA

View more questions Search