Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BigBram04 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2009, 05:49 PM
    Too Hot Downstairs/Too Cold Upstairs
    I know this sounds funny but it is very true. My downstairs will be 80 and upstairs is like 65. I Live in Minot ND. It gets around -60 in the dead of winter. But I have a problem with heat upstairs, I have closed all of the vents downstairs and have all of the vents open in the upstairs. I live in a duplex w/out a basement. The furnace is on the floor with the living/family/kitchen/dining rooms. My thermostat is downstairs as well. I can never seem to get upstairs warm can someone help me. The house is brand new. I am the first person to own the house. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2009, 06:52 PM

Do you have a staircase that is closed off at the first floor? I lived in a townhouse that had an open staircase to the second floor. I never had to turn the heat on upstairs as all the heat from the first floor went upstairs.

You being the first owner may have to get a heating company to come and see how your ducting is arranged. Also, is the blower for the furnace blowing out any air on the second floor? The ductwork might need to be opened in hidden areas. Some new homes have louvers inside the ducts that can be opened and closed.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2009, 07:52 PM
    The installing contractor should be obligated to address system problems for the first year. Your first call should be to them.
    david81 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 12:41 PM

Your temperature disparity seems extreme, but I had a similar situation a few years ago and was given the following advice from our heating/ac company that has made a world of difference. Hopefully you can give it a try before incurring any expense.

1) Keep the fan running at all times (that is, turn the fan on the thermostat to "run" rather than "on"). This will continually move/mix the air throughout the house so the warmer air from the basement will mix with the cooler from upstairs and ultimately lead to more stable temps throughout the house. This solution costs virtually nothing as it's only the fan that is continually running.

2) don't get into the game of opening/closing vents in certain areas in hopes of directing more air to other areas. This disrupts the air pressure the system was designed/set to handle and can while it can be somewhat effective it also puts stress on the ac/heating unit.

Give it a shot!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold air upstairs, hot air downstairs [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, We recently bought a new house and are having a problem with our heating system. The air upstairs is significantly colder than downstairs, in fact you can feel the change as you go up the stairs. The air coming out of the vents upstairs is about the same as the cool room temperature....

Downstairs radiators cold, upstairs o.k. [ 1 Answers ]

Has the boiler pump seized up after the summer break? How can I get it going?:confused: Kingfisher 2 boiler (England/U.K.). MANY THANKS.

Hot upstairs, cold downstairs! How do I regulate temp better? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a single furnace for both levels of our home. It is definitely colder in the basement and when we try to raise the downstairs temp by turning up the thermostat (located upstairs) it gets incredibly hot upstairs. Any ideas? Do I need to add a new furnace or can I relocate the thermostat...

No cold water upstairs, OK downstairs. Hot OK everywhere [ 3 Answers ]

Hi this is my first time on this board. Hello. The above title is pretty explanatory, happened in my home today. Why should this be? I have run the cold tap downstairs to see if it will run dry but it is fine. Hot OK too. Happened this morning. Thames water have no cut offs. Any takers?

Upstairs too hot, downstairs too cold [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 2-story house built in 1949 that has a forced air heating and air conditioning system. Of the 4 rooms upstairs, the 2 largest ones do not get cool enough. At the same time, the first floor is plenty cool and the basement is frigid. What is the most cost-effective and simple way to...

View more questions Search