Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tkoconnor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 05:09 PM
    How do I remove shower pan & replace drain on second floor
    I need some help. I am re-tiling my shower stall on second floor and need to know how to remove the existing vinyl/plastic shower pan & replace the old plastic PVC drain pipe/fitting and replace with a new drain for new membrane shower pan & tile ? I don't want to cut a hole in my kitchen ceiling
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 9, 2009, 05:32 PM
    You shouldn't have to open up the ceiling to replace the drain and pan.
    The drain is a flange type shower drain,(see image) and unless its cruddy I'd reuse it and save the hassle of cutting it out. If you want a new drain then purchase a new flange type shower drain and keep the bottom part and replace the top part. Remove the tile and mortar, remove and save the bolts from the shower flange and pull the drain assembly up and out. The shower pan may be nailed to the studs but you should be able to lift it right out. If it gives you any trouble simply cut that sucker out. Stuff rags in the hole4 and when you go to tile do not let mortar get in the weep holes in the bottom flange. More questions? I'm as close as a click. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom
    tkoconnor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 06:12 PM

Tom "speed ball" Thank you for your prompt response, the image in your reply/advice does not seem to match the drain my shower base pan.. I do have a stainless strainer which is just flat piece of stainless without any bottom pipe attachment, my drain strainer just seems to lay/sit in place in an indent my vinyl shower pan. The strainer is easily removed with just my finger nail tip... when I remove it and look into the drain. I see Black PVC drain pipe through the hole.. and this seems to seems to be connected to the black flared PVC pipe leaving my shower pan, the black PVC collar appears to be pressed into or glued inside to the PVC drain pipe that runs under the sub floor underneath the shower pan.. so unfortunately it does not look like it unscrews.. I would appreciate any more advice you might have

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I replace the 4" cast iron floor drain cover myself? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 4" cast iron floor drain cover that is corroding due to the salty water from when my water softener recycles. How can I replace this drain cover? Do I have to replace with another cast iron drain cover? I'm afraid I'm going to have the same issue in a couple of years if I do. Can I...

Toilet drain pipe below floor; need to replace flange [ 5 Answers ]

The toilet in our master bedroom was leaking around the floor. I turned the water off, flushed it one last time to get the water out of the tank, and called the plumber, who stopped by today. I wasn't there, but my g/f took a bunch of notes. He unbolted the toilet and pulled the flange out...

Must remove concrete floor section to replace rotted rod iron drain pipe in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove concrete flooring section in a bathroom? We found a broken rotten rod iron drain pipe when tearing out walls for remodeling and unfortunately (blessing) found out the pipe was rotted. Plumber says to replace with PVC but we have to dig up/cut up the floor ourselves....

Replace drain in tile shower floor [ 3 Answers ]

I have a tile shower upstairs that has a drain that is cemented into the tile. On the floor below I have ripped out the ceiling and can see what looks like a shower drain that is corroded and it looks like someone may have applied putty to it. There is a very slow drip filling a margarine...

View more questions Search