Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shannahan Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 09:03 PM
    1099-MISC income from a farm rental
    My brother and I inherited farm property in Ohio in 2008 that was owned by our mother, who lived in Florida. For many years, she had been renting the property out to a company that runs a farm on the land. I also live in Florida and have no involvement with the farm whatsoever other than now my brother and I receive rent from it. I received a 1099-MISC for my portion of the rent. How do I report this income on my federal tax return? Do I use Form 4835 and report it on line 6 (other income)? Or do I just report it as regular rent? Does it even matter that the rent came from a farm operator? If so, why does it make a difference?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 8, 2009, 09:25 PM

It is now your own rental property. Report rental income and expenses on schedule E (Form 1040).
    shannahan Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the response. So I gather from your response that it doesn't matter that the rent comes from a farm?
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Mar 9, 2009, 08:59 AM

No, it does not matter that rent comes from a farm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 Misc Income [ 1 Answers ]

Is there another way to report 1099 Misc income other than a Schedule C?

1099-misc income I didn't get/someone else did and I can't prove it [ 6 Answers ]

FEMALE FROM VA I opened an account on 5/11/07 through Wachovia for a small business that I was starting up and new at the time that it would have been a shortly owned business. With doing this I was going to be a sub-contractor for another business called Aapco of Richmond. I hired my children's...

1099 MISC income [ 1 Answers ]

We have an employee who is exercise instructor who also did some painting in our facility for a flat fee. Is the painting income reportable on Form 1099 and if so which box?

1099-misc for computer rental [ 1 Answers ]

Last year I worked on a job that required the use of my computer. I was paid $1000 as a rental fee for the computer. While I got a W2 for my salary, I received a 1099-misc. for computer rental with $1000 in box 1. How do I report this? In the past I've used the 1040EZ to file my taxes, do I have...

View more questions Search