Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Monch84 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 12:42 AM
    How Do I Reboot My computer to factory settings?
    I want to reboot my computer, I've given up on trying to fix it, I own a laptop
    Hp pavilion dv4000. I have two disc that I think might be the ones I need but I am not sure,
    One is Application and Driver Recovery DVD I tried it but all it did was reinstall a bunch of programs, I want my computer to be the way I had it when I bought it.
    The other disc is called Operating Systems Cd (Microsoft Windows XP Professional)
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Thanks
    Nubzor16 Posts: 62, Reputation: 2

Mar 8, 2009, 01:03 AM

OK first put in the disk labeled Operating Systems CD.

Start machine (power on) then hold F12 key
    You should get a boot from menu.
    Select boot from "CD" *might not be exact text
    And then proceed with windows installation.

If no screen comes up while holding F12 you will have to go into setup and define your boot sequence to point to CD first.

Good luck
    johndoe99 Posts: 167, Reputation: 21

Mar 8, 2009, 05:05 PM
    If you could give us some more information on what's wrong, as a reinstallation may not be necessary.

A direct installation may not be any good, if your having trouble with viruses/adaware etc, a format may be needed.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 8, 2009, 05:24 PM
    It does not sound like you have a Recovery CD. But you should have a recovery partition. During the Boot, it should give you a key to press to enter the Recovery partition. Try that.

If it doesn't work, Go to HP.Com and click on the Supprt link. Even thouygh not under warranty, you can get e-mail support.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 07:46 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Nubzor16 View Post
    ok first put in the disk labeled Operating Systems CD.

start machine (power on) then hold F12 key
    you should get a boot from menu.
    select boot from "CD" *might not be exact text
    and then proceed with windows installation.

if no screen comes up while holding F12 you will have to go into setup and define your boot sequence to point to CD first.
    Because you have a disk labeled "Operating Systems CD", it is unlikely that you have a recovery partition. Nevetheless, it is possible. A lot of manufacturers are including them. If you have one, you will be able to restore it to its factory-fresh state. Nevertheless, remember that there can be a lot of crapware in the factory-fresh state. If you do restore this type of partition, I suggest you go to Add/Remove programs and remove everything you don't want before you install new software.

When you do a Windows installation, you should not "repair" or overwrite Windows. In fact, you should delete the entire hard drive (its partition) and create a new partition. This will let you do a completely virgin install. This is done from the Operating System CD.

Also, you should consider getting into the BIOS and setting that to its defaults.

------------------------------------------

However, johndoe99 is quite correct that an entire reinstall may not be necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Return my Gateway M-6755 to factory Settings. [ 1 Answers ]

OK, for reasons of my own I want my laptop returned to factory settings. Just like when I bought it. I'm running vista home premium, and like the tittle says it is a Gateway M-6755. There were no os restore cds when I bought it or anything like that. I've had other laptops, and they had a ctrl-f8...

If I return my laptop back to factory settings will it remove viruses [ 2 Answers ]

If I return my laptop back to its factory settings will it remove viruses

Rebooting computer to original factory settings [ 6 Answers ]

How do I reboot my computer to my original factory settings

Reboot to factory setting [ 2 Answers ]

How do I reboot my computer back to factory setting?

Re set my laptop to factory settings [ 3 Answers ]

Hi can anyone tell me how to reset a laptop to its factory setting if you have none of the original discs all I have is the laptop and want to get rid of all the excess junk on it

View more questions Search