Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trigger72 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2006, 08:52 AM
    Water shut offs
    Hi, I am trying to replace a leaky faucet in the bathroom. The shutoffs under the sink, are not thresded, but screws into the knob. I can take them all the way out and not have a leak, which also means I am not shutting off the water. I know I can shut off the entire house, but not sure which shutoff that is. Thank you for a reply. Janet
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Aug 28, 2006, 09:30 AM
    You should have a shut off on the main water line before it enters the front of your house. There should also be a shut off by the water meter, possibly under a metal plate in your front yard.
    trigger72 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2006, 09:34 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply. I will look for that shut off. Does that mean I wasn't missing anything, that I really can't shut them off under the sink? Grrr Thanks again, Janet
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 28, 2006, 10:32 AM
    Hi Janet.
    Let me add a bit to Dr. D's answer. If you live in a slab house the shutoff will be found outside where the water service raises up out of the ground and enters your house. In a basement house the shut off's located at the point the service enters the basement. All water meters have a shut off located in the meter box. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking Water Shut Off Valve [ 4 Answers ]

The main water shut off valve inside the house is leaking. How do I shut off the valve "outside" the house so we can work on fixing this? The house is 16 yrs old. This is the original valve. Would you estimate that this is a simple washer problem? Or is this best left to a professional...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Home Water Shut Off Valve [ 3 Answers ]

Do you recommend shutting off the main house water shut off valve? We are leaving our southern California home for six months and living in our second home in Ohio. Our house is 30 years old with main water lines in a slab. A few homes in the neighborhood have experienced leaks in the slab. ...

Tube from the water shut off valve [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was turning off the water to the toilet while trying to fix something and the tube FROM the shut off valve TO the toilet tank broke. How can this be fixed by an amateur? Please help, we have 6 people in the house with one working toilet! Thanks!

Shut offs [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a few shut offs.. ball valve type. My question is, do the "lever"s have to be positioned at the top of the valve? Can the be mounted on the side or down... the valves will be installed horizontally.. Thanks.

View more questions Search