Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zan1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 06:36 AM
    No VGA Signal - Monitor Going To Sleep
    Hello,

I am having problems with my monitor!
    The PC works fine for an unspecified period but then all of a sudden the monitor will flash up the message "No VGA Input Signal" and will then go to sleep. There seems to be no way of getting the PC to wake up again once it's done this and I'm left having to turn the whole thing off.

I've looked up similar problems on various sites but other people only seem to be getting this problem on start up whereas mine works fine for maybe several hours but then suddenly stops.

Any ideas? Would be much appreciated!
    Thanks.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 07:02 AM

Here are some places to start.

1. Check the monitor cable. Make sure there aren't any bent pins.
    2. Reseat the graphics card, if it's not integrated with the motherboard (remove and reinstall it -- making sure it's seated properly).
    3. Right-click on the desktop and select "Properties". Click the "Screen Saver" tab. Click the "Power" button. What settings are in there?
    jamesbraken Posts: 157, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2009, 07:33 AM

Go to control panel>power>monitor then it will ask for some options then check all the options as Never and click on the OK. Your monitor will work fine and it willn't go in the sleep mode again.
    darkvision Posts: 232, Reputation: 15

Mar 7, 2009, 02:45 PM

Is the computer itself still running(can you hear hard drive fans etc?) if so then here are your possibilities

Bad signal/power cord on monitor. Move the cables around to see if the screen comes back on if no then see next.

Your monitor itself could be going bad or overheating, however this is the least likely of any of the options, so its one to get back to.

Video card over heating/going bad. Do you have a built in thermostat? If so what's the temperature reading when you loose signal? Another option is to buy a computer thermometer or sticking one inside the case. Also try removing the side panel from the case and see if it takes longer for it to loose signal(better air flow, so lower temperature, if that works then you need to get additional cooling in your system). And as posted above reseat the video card/check connections. Also ensure that all fans are in fact operating.

CPU could be over heating. If this is the case the whole system will shut down, to see how to trouble shoot/fix this again see above post.

Now this is the mostly likely issue if your computer is running after the monitor goes black.

PSU has gone bad. The reason this generally identifies the PSU going bad is that the systems are built that if voltage drops, the computer automatically turns off the one thing it doesn't need to keep running which is your graphics card. Even if the power goes back to the correct output, it will not turn the graphics card back on without a reboot. In this case if you have another PSU you can test inside the case that is the only way to tell for sure wither or not the PSU is bad. Multimeter tests can be done, but they are not a guarantee because it may not be fluctuating at that exact moment your doing the test. Though it is a test that should be done.

So If you here noise after monitor turns off first check:cables, then reseat card(s), then(or during the other tests) check temperature. As all those test cost nothing but a little time to do. Then swap/replace PSU.

If the PC isn't running:Check temperature, this is almost for sure your issue. PSU should also be checked though.

For temperature if temps are above 48 degrees C you need to get additional cooling in the PC with fans, though this may only help some because if the case design is bad you will still not get proper air flow. Another option would be to with the side panel of have a fan or two blowing inside of the case to help cool.
    bkbatman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2010, 07:33 AM
    When you turn on your computer and turn on your screen it say going to sleep as soon as you turn it on
    The problem is not your video card. Let me guest you try unplugging everything and plugging then back but still not working,
    The problem is it your computer it when it upload with lot of stuff and full, almost like this when you delete your webbrower
    It go in the recycle bin, when you download stuff it go in the recycle bin, when you delete it from the recycle bin, where do it go at in your computer hard drive which it overloaded make the computer fan run really fast, what you need to do is open your computer the should be 2 or 3 plug got 4 mouse you need to switch it. And try clearing the fan once you open it because it might be full with dust: by: bkbatman
    bkbatman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2010, 11:15 AM
    A plug with 4 mouth I mean
    Aesthetics Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2010, 12:55 PM
    Hey, I have a imilar problem to this but this has just recently happened after updating my display driver software, after I completed the download of the update it asked me to restart computer so I accepted it and it restarted. The problem is that my monitor does not come on at all, it stays on standby. The computer is turning on fine I hear fans and start up beeps but my screen remains on standby, I have tried all the simple stuff such as checking cables for bent pins and faulty connections but I am not too great with computers, wondered if anyone could help me please? Thanks in advance
    Aesthetics Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2010, 12:55 PM
    Hey, I have a imilar problem to this but this has just recently happened after updating my display driver software, after I completed the download of the update it asked me to restart computer so I accepted it and it restarted. The problem is that my monitor does not come on at all, it stays on standby. The computer is turning on fine I hear fans and start up beeps but my screen remains on standby, I have tried all the simple stuff such as checking cables for bent pins and faulty connections but I am not too great with computers, wondered if anyone could help me please? Thanks in advance
    Daniel12309 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2010, 04:26 PM
    What u need to do is grab the moniter and throw it against the wall and if THAT doesn't work then call a technician Oh and another good idea is to insert a copper coil into the fan while holding on to a large batterie... if that doesn't solve your computer problems it'll certianly solve your life's problems
    amervin16 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2010, 06:49 AM
    All you have to do is unplug all the connection of your system and then plug it again... It is because of your VGA/video card that overheat...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor says no signal.how to fix it? [ 12 Answers ]

My PC beeps 2 times as it powers up, and then gives no signal on the monitor. Does anyone know how to fix this? Please help.

No signal for Monitor [ 2 Answers ]

Hello.. I have 3 PCs , I've just installed a fresh copy of windows xp sp2 on them, they worked fine for 2 days, and suddenly , when I power on the PC , the fan works and leds start, but the monitor doesn't show anything,, what is the problem?? I tried another monitor and the same problem... ...

No signal to monitor [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Dell C521 and got tired of Vista. We formatted the hard drive and installed a previous version of XP. We were getting the downloads from the Dell web site to bring the computer up-to-date. During the download of bios it locked up and did not download. When the computer was restarted...

No signal to monitor [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I’m not completely lost when it comes to computers, so a friend of mine asked me to fix his computer and I’m completely stumped. He tried to change his keyboard and when he plugged in the new one there was no longer any signal going from the tower to the screen. I replugged the original key...

Monitor - No signal [ 53 Answers ]

Hi all, I'm trying to build my own computer without my husband's help so I can learn stuff along the way. My first obstacle is that the monitor has no signal. The computer I am upgrading is my brother's old one and I played cards on it just last week before he gave it to me. When I brought it home...

View more questions Search