Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soccernutt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 04:14 PM
    New light bulbs
    I currently have a ceiling fan that can use up to 40 watt bulbs. I've noticed that there are a new more efficient type bulb out. The question I have is it safe to use the new type bulb that gives off 100 watts of lighting and only using 23 watts of power. I'm hoping that because the bulbs are more efficient that I can gain extra lighting power.

Thanks
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2009, 05:03 PM

I've used the new type of light bulbs all throughout my home. They work great but with one drawback. They have to "warm up" which takes about 15 seconds to have the light get fully bright. No big deal for me considering all the money I save. After awhile you won't even notice it.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2009, 07:36 PM

You can use them as long as it's not a remote fan and doesn't have a dimmer.
    patcolamp Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 09:42 PM
    Yes you can use the new CFL's in a ceiling fan but there are pros and cons.

The Pro is, CFL will in fact gives off more lumens of light for wattage consumed. Rule of thumb is to multiply the fluorescent wattage x5 and that's about the same lumens as the incandescent that you are replacing.

The con is CFL is a fluorescent light just like the ones you see in the ceilings. A fluorescent light loses 4 hours of life every time you turn it on and off.
    When the factory rates a lightbulb or any lamp for that matter they rate it on a 24 hr burn. If you turn it on and off you can reduce the life hours by 25% right off the top. For fluorescent, the more you turn the light on and off the quicker it will burn out.

FYI- If you leave a light on it will last longer. Go figure

But your answer is yes it will be brighter for less electricity used, but it will also burn out quicker as opposed to keeping it on.

I hope this helps you out.

JP
    Patco Lamp
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2009, 02:08 PM

I've always thought this, but then was told it wasn't true.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Light Bulbs [ 1 Answers ]

Electric Lights I have a bar of 6 lights comprising Halogen GU10 50 watt bulbs. One has blown and I can not remove it. Any ideas?

Light bulbs blowing out [ 20 Answers ]

I've read other threads concerning this matter but I don't understand how to apply the information to my problem. I make sure the watt/volts are at or (mostly under) the recommended limit. I stopped replacing every bulb and only have a few Throughout my house, enough to get by to see at...

Change light bulbs in a fan [ 1 Answers ]

How to change bulbs of a 52" Romano ceiling fan

Light bulbs [ 1 Answers ]

What does T I P O mean in light bulbs

Light Bulbs [ 3 Answers ]

It seems as though recently that our light bulbs keep going out... what might be the cause of this?? Just in the last 2 days we've had 3 light bulbs go out. (they have all been changed in the last couple of months!)

View more questions Search