Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maidenrob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 06:10 PM
    CPVC Cement vs PVC Glue
    My sump pump went out on me this week and when I replaced it , I inadvertently used CPVC cement on my PVC pipes instead of the PVC glue. Is this going to cause a problem?

Thanks,
    Rob
    DrDi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 06:55 PM

Hi rob, my son just walked in the room as I was reading your question. Him being a master plumber I figured he'd know the answer. He said that it will cause no problems and should work better than the pvc glue.

So, not to worry!

I'm new-my first post.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 4, 2009, 08:20 PM
    Like DrDi said...

Although not ideal, you have only cemented a few joints.. yes? You should be OK here.

More important is if the sump pump has a check valve and have you considered a battery back-up sump pump in case of power failures..? Is this for a finished basement or unfinished basement? Let me know answers as I may have info. That will be helpful... ;)

MARK
    xyrium Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 07:22 PM

Mark, funny you should ask about the back up pump. I am about to install a back up pump in my sump area and am facing the same dilemma as Rob. I have orange CPVC glue but I'm using PVC pipe. To my knowledge, the CPVC orange has a stronger adhesive quality than regular PVC cement, is this correct?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 07:29 PM
    I have heard you are correct here... ;) However, PVC does not only require cement... it also requires a PRIMER.

Different plastics contract/expand at different rates. I recommend that you use the correct PRIMER and CEMENT for PVC if using PVC... :)

You can never go wrong with a back-up pump! Good for you!

MARK
    xyrium Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2009, 12:38 PM
    Geez, primer. Like foreplay for PVC... ;)

Thanks for your reply Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    I have heard you are correct here...;) However, PVC does not only require cement...it also requires a PRIMER.

Different plastics contract/expand at different rates. I recommend that you use the correct PRIMER and CEMENT for PVC if using PVC...:)

You can never go wrong with a back-up pump! Good for you!

MARK
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 04:07 PM
    Glad if it helped!

MARK
    celliott_sa Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2013, 01:05 PM
    I have pvc 4 and I am making a dip bar with it. I told the Home Depot guy Cement, but he gave me glue. I told him there must be a difference and he said no. I am worried my weight with cause it to break, also I did not prime. Is glue sturdy enough and did I need primer? I already glued 3 pieces.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 14, 2013, 03:45 PM
    Celliot. I answered your question at your other post... see that post for answer!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PVC vs CPVC and the glue to use with them [ 6 Answers ]

I am replacing the piping at the shower stall. The existing pipes say CPVC and Ihave a can of glue that reads PVC. Should Ibuy another or can I use this?

Drying time for the glue CPVC [ 5 Answers ]

I was told that the CPVC joints should glue dry for 24 hours before connecting water. Is this true?

Pvc glue on cpvc pipe [ 4 Answers ]

I accidentally used pvc cement to glue some cpvc fittings to cpvc piping. Am I looking for problems if I don't re-do these joints? Should I re-do both the cold water and hot water joints?

What is the best cpvc glue to use,in cold temperature? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best cpvc glue to use?

Question on cpvc glue. [ 5 Answers ]

I have dry fit all of the pvc and am now ready to glue it all together. I noticed that when I bought my pvc glue it is the yellow glue for cpvc pipe. Will it work OK on the pvc pipe? The can does not say anything about it. Was hoping someone could tell me here. Thanks, Rob

View more questions Search