Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    malibuclassic77 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2006, 09:08 PM
    2-phase vs 3-phase degrees of separation
    At work we have 3-phase power. I understand the oscillations are 120 degrees apart.

At home I have 2-phase power. Are the oscillations 180 degrees apart? I understand the neutral on a 240v circuit should carry 0 as the phases cancel each other out.

My real question is that if we have a 2-phase motor powered by 2 phases of the 3-phase circuit at work, is the neutral again carrying 0 or would it carry some current because the 2 used phases are not 180 degrees of each other?
    yokeman Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2006, 08:01 AM
    If the system is well balanced the neutral will carry little current. This is the way the power company likes it, but rarely the case. Any unbalance will cause a netural wire current flow.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2006, 08:25 AM
    You have single phase at home, it is called an Edison three wire system. Two hot legs are the one phase, the neutral is the center tap of the transformer, which divides the voltage in half.

If a 3 wire circuit is balanced there will be no current flow in the neutral.

A Single phase circuit off a three phase with a neutral is always current carrying, never gets balanced.

You need all three hots with a neutral and each circuits to carrying the same load to see zero amps in a balanced three phase circuit.

The rotation is 360 deg on a true single phase service. A three phase is 120 deg apart.
    bijendra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2007, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by malibuclassic77
    At work we have 3-phase power. I understand the oscillations are 120 degrees apart.

At home I have 2-phase power. Are the oscillations 180 degrees apart? I understand the neutral on a 240v circuit should carry 0 as the phases cancel each other out.

My real question is that if we have a 2-phase motor powered by 2 phases of the 3-phase circuit at work, is the neutral again carrying 0 or would it carry some current because the 2 used phases are not 180 degrees of each other?
    NO CURRENT in nutral is not 0,the phasor sum of current in 2 phase is not 0...
    chetan_patel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2012, 01:29 AM
    Yes the neutral carries some current... its because they never get balanced in single phase and nor the phase diff is 180 degree
    chetan_patel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2012, 01:29 AM
    Yes the neutral carries some current... its because they never get balanced in single phase and nor the phase diff is 180 degree

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

480 v 3 phase [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a fairly new plant technician.. but our company just purchased a rotary die cutter that requires 480v 3 phase at 30 amps our plant only has 220V 3 phase.. What kind of transformer do we need to step up the voltage like that.. I believe that we will be drawing 60 amps from 220 correct?

Dioxane phase diagram [ 1 Answers ]

I trying to find the critial point for 1-4-dioxane. Does any one have a phase diagram for it or know what the critial point is? Thanks

What is a Phase I environmental report? [ 1 Answers ]

I am selling my property (an auto repair shop) and the sale agreement requires a Phase I environment study or report. Exactly what do they look for? Should I clean up the surface oil spots before they come?

Is this a phase? [ 4 Answers ]

I am 90% sure that my new beagle pup is eating her own poop. I came home today to the a messy crate and dog but no actual piles. I did catch her licking it one day when I took her out... I thought she was just sniffing around for a place to go but she was licking her poop. Since I have taken out...

View more questions Search