Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sudu1957 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2009, 04:44 PM
    Can you give a dog anything for coughing?
    My dog has a cough that I would really like to give her something for.
    Can I give her cough syurp or some kind of lemon and honey? She is a pom.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 04:47 PM

It's never a good idea to give a dog human remedies, their bodies are very different from ours, they cannot tolerate many of the things that we can.

Your best bet is to take your dog to the vet and have him/her prescribe something for the cough.

Good luck.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 08:25 AM

There is an ailment known as 'kennel cough' it can be very serious in some cases especially small or old dogs. Get the vet to check her out if the coughing keeps up :-)
    canady Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Feb 26, 2009, 10:34 AM
    My experience with people reporting coughing in dogs,

1) Kennel cough
    2) Lump starting to grow around throat area, such as lymphosarcoma (cancer), or another enlargement of sort, and as it presses on the throat the dog coughs or hacks
    3) Kitty litter inhalation or allergy inhalation

The vet can quickly rule out either or, you can also perform maintenance checks on your dogs by checking in and around the glands beneath the jaw of your dogs and feel for lumps.

If this is not anything serious and is in fact a dry hack or inhalation irritant, slippery elm is amazing for throats as well. Powder or gel caps are available, I am almost certain some vets are now using it. As always it is not for long term use, short term and as needed.

Hopefully the cough is nothing serious.

All the best,

Canady
    Pets Expert

Feb 26, 2009, 10:44 AM

Slippery elm is being used by more and more vets nowadays, but keep in mind that no studies have been done on dogs to determine the safety of this product.

Slippery elm can be harmful in the wrong doses, also, some animals will have an allergic reaction.

Also, slippery elm can interfere with other medications, it's always best to discuss anything you wish to administer with your veterinary proffessional.

Here's a link you might find helpful.

http://www.petcarenaturally.com/hand...ippery-elm.pdf

Feb 26, 2009, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Slippery elm is being used by more and more vets nowadays, but keep in mind that no studies have been done on dogs to determine the safety of this product.

Slippery elm can be harmful in the wrong doses, also, some animals will have an allergic reaction.
    [/url]
    Gosh such doom and gloom.

In wrong doses so is anything, that is a link you just found on Google - most vets do not know anthing about slippery elm. And as with any drug or herb, any pills can be harmful in wrong doses, all bottles and powders are very accurate in their doses. This is a vet that does practice with both medicines, and one of many, there are also pet forums now, with amazing results from this, I am truly saddened to see such a hatchet job on invaluable information. Maybe instead of looking and posting just bad information, it shoud be balanced with the good links out there on Google... no?

Slippery Elm for Better Pet Digestion

Anyone not familiar do your own research on this, is appearing everywhere on the net, it is my old faithful in my kennel, has helped so many, and most googled links have only the best to say for it.

Cheers to Slippery Elm it has been a healer in my kennel.

Canady
    Pets Expert

Feb 26, 2009, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by canady View Post
    Gosh such doom and gloom.

In wrong doses so is anything, that is a link you just found on google - most vets do not know anthing about slippery elm. And as with any drug or herb, any pills can be harmful in wrong doses, all bottles and powders are very accurate in their doses. This is a vet that does practice with both medicines, and one of many, there are also pet forums now, with amazing results from this, I am truly saddened to see such a hatchet job on invaluable information. Maybe instead of looking and posting just bad information, it shoud be balanced with the good links out there on google...no?

Slippery Elm for Better Pet Digestion

Anyone not familiar do your own research on this, is appearing everywhere on the net, it is my old faithful in my kennel, has helped so many, and most googled links have only the best to say for it.

Cheers to Slippery Elm it has been a healer in my kennel.

Canady
    Did you even read the link? Based on your response I'd say no. It wasn't information debasing the use of slippery elm, so get off your high horse.

As for vets not knowing about this, wrong! My vet does, that's how I heard of it. Did you honestly think you came up with something new? We use slippery elm powder, from our vets office, on our lab cross, he has digestive problems.

Bottom line, no one on this site should be diagnosing a problem over the internet. It's always best to see your vet, and it's always best to follow his/her advice. Vets are trained to deal with animal health problems, they've had years of education.

Canady, will you take responsibility if anything happens to the OP's dog if he/she decides to give slippery elm based on your recommendation?

See your vet, that's the best course of action.

Feb 26, 2009, 11:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post

Canady, will you take responsibility if anything happens to the OP's dog if he/she decides to give slippery elm based on your recommendation?

See your vet, that's the best course of action.
    I do not believe I diagnose anything, simply offer my experience, people have their choice, but it nice to hear from people who have had experience with what they ask, but it appears googled answers are a better alternative on this site, than on hands experience.

I certainly do not need to watch your aggressive approach to everyone on this site and with everything I post, I belong to many all natural health forums and have since the internet was even available, and way before that where advice is used.

So since my experience obvious bothers you, I would appreciate if someone on this forum would assist me in closing my ID here.

Instructions please and good luck to you all!

Humbly,

Canady
    Pets Expert

Feb 26, 2009, 12:11 PM

Canady, your opinions are valued here, your argumentative nature and "I'm always right" attitude" are not.

I am not the one that started being aggressive here. I care about this site and the information that we give to people coming here looking for answers.

The bottom line is, you may have all the experience that you claim to have, but in many cases you are offering remedies that have not been proven, have not been studied and could be detrimental.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not always right, I doubt that you would ever admit that.

You came here and quickly talked down to members that have been on this site for a very long time, giving good advice, helping people with their pets.

If you are here to help, great, but you also have to be willing to listen and accept that your methods are not mainstream. I won't say that you aren't everything that you say you are, but, in the same token, you have no idea who I am or the experience I bring to the table.

If you no longer wish to be a member of this site, it's simple, don't respond. I for one do welcome you to AMHD, even though our opinions differ. But, if you continue to be condescending and belittling, well, dear, I give as good as I get.

We don't have to agree, that's fine, but you do have to respect my opinion, because I don't just pull things out of thin air. My experience and research is just as valid as yours.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Feb 26, 2009, 12:13 PM

Canady your experience bothers no one here, its your attitude! You automatically assume that every remedy or food is okay for every dog and its simply not! You have no respect for caution! Atly did not contradict you, only advised that the OP check with their vet before attempting to proceed with the administration which is the best possible thing to do! You are looking for trouble if you deemed that post aggressive! Maybe you wouldn't have so many arguments if you weren't trying to create them! You don't know the dogs medical history, all you know are your dogs, and this dog isn't one of them.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 26, 2009, 12:49 PM

How long has your dog had this cough? This could also possibly be a case of a "reverse sneeze", and not a cough at all. Does it sound like a hacking cough? Does your dog sound a little like a goose honking?
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 26, 2009, 12:56 PM
    This is just one example, although it can sound much worse. Reverse sneezes can occur in all dogs, but are typically common in smaller breeds.

YouTube - Reverse Sneeze
    sajjw Posts: 117, Reputation: 9

Feb 26, 2009, 05:07 PM

I think it would be a shame for you to leave, Canady. You are clearly experienced and knowledgeable (did I spell that right?) It would be great if you and the experts could resolve your issues.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog is coughing and has a lump [ 5 Answers ]

ok my do has been coughing and i want the best for my dog shes my world and everything to me but come bedtime when she lays on her side its gets to the point where she has to stand up and we just noticed that she has tis lump like thing on her stomach. What do i do? :(:(:(:(

Coughing Cat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my 10 month old cat Ruby started acting abit odd yesterday, she kept gagging and was very distant and weak. Today is has developed into a really harsh cough and she swallows hard after and seems to have a dry mouth. At first I thought she had something stuck in her throat but she is still...

Dog coughing and urinating [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 13 year old border collie cross. Over the past few months he has started urinating in the house even though he has just been out in the yard or for a very long walk. When he urinates it is not always in the same areas, he goes in different places. He has also developed a cough which...

Coughing while pregnant [ 3 Answers ]

I'm new to this site, and have a very important question... I'm currently 8 weeks pregnant and am coughing due to a cold.. Can I take cough drops? Confused

Persistent coughing [ 1 Answers ]

I picked up an infection at the beginning of April this year that seemed to go straight to my chest. It gave me an awful, persistent cough which always left me struggling for breath and trying desperately to suck back some air into my lungs (even while the coughing fits, which sometimes lasted for...

View more questions Search