Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    majortom6x Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2009, 10:33 PM
    1099-misc for internship stipend
    1099-misc form was issued for summer internship that had approx: $3600 of compensation in box 7 (non employee compensation). In an employment statement the non profit org. clearly stated that I was hired as a temporary , full time employee. The employment memorandum goes on to state that because I was earning class credit for the law internship that I was ineligible for a salary. Instead I would be paid a stipend for living expenses of $3600 in five equal payments.

When I learned that the 1099-misc required me to pay self employment taxes I asked the employer if they had incorrectly issued me a 1099-misc and should have issued me a W2?
    The responee I received was "Since you were recieving class credit for your internship we weren't able to put you on our payroll and therefore we cannot issue you a W2".

Are there any IRS rules/laws to support the premise of their response statement?

Since they clearly state I was hired as a full time , temporary employee I believe they should be required to report my stipend as wages on a W2 form and the 1099-misc is only for non employee compensation. Am I right?

Also is it possible that they could report the stipend as an award and therefore put it in box 3(other) of the 1099-misc? This would effectively eliminate the self employment taxes caused by box 7 reporting.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2009, 04:04 AM

IRS can not issue guidelines to employers on issue "employee or independent contractor"
    . If you do not agree with your classification then you can file Form SS-8 Determination of Worker Status for Purposes of Federal Employment Taxes and Income Tax Withholding. Firms and workers file Form SS-8 to request a determination of the status of a worker for purposes of federal employment taxes and income tax withholding.

First figure out what, if any, you are actually losing by getting 1099-misc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099-misc [ 3 Answers ]

Last year I was a full time student and also during that time I worked as a T.A and consequently have the W-2 with that income and also as an independent contractor (I have the 1099 MISC which corresponds to that income). As I understand it even though my total gross income is below the minimum...

1099-misc, box 6 [ 1 Answers ]

I received a 1099-misc for tax year 2007. This will be my first time filing this kind of income. Box 6 (medical and healthcare payments) was completed because I received money from my grandmother's estate to care for her a few days every month last year. I will continue to do so throughout 2008...

H-1b and 1099 - misc [ 1 Answers ]

I am on h-1b and got a 1099 - misc for 2006 with a nonemployee compensation of 27k. How can I file my tax forms based on it ?

H1b and 1099-Misc [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently on H1B working for a company in US. Now I think when you are on H1b you can only work on 40 hours a week and no more, at least on paper it should show that way. Is it OK if you work more than 40 hours a week for same company but they pay you for 40 hrs on your paycheck and...

View more questions Search