Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    urbania Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2009, 02:58 PM
    How to file when spouse lives overseas
    Hi:),
    I am new here and I have a question concerning tax filing.
    My husband(Us citizen) and me got married last year in April and now he is about to file his taxes but doesn't know how.
    I am a nonresident with no SSN,I live and work in europe as a flight attendant,so I have been going back and forth on a Visa Waiver the last year.
    What would be the best way to file for him?Should he file married even though I don't work(pay taxes) in the U.S.
    I am thankful for any answers,thank you in advance for your time.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 25, 2009, 12:33 AM

Choice 1: Your husband files are married filing separately and you do not file.

Choice 2: You can file joint return as residents. You will attach W7 (ITIN application) with your tax return.
    Your U.S. Tax Return: Filing Status for Married

Feb 25, 2009, 08:18 AM

Thank you for your answer.So do I get it right that if we file jointly I have to put down my income too after requesting the ITIN number?And that he can only file"head of the household"if another "qualifying person" has been living with him?Thank you
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 25, 2009, 08:47 AM

On the joint return both of you must report your worldwide income.

You will attach W7 with your tax return.

You are NOT head of household. You must be unmarried or separated to be head of household.

Feb 25, 2009, 08:50 AM
    Thank you very much...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Citizen married filing separately, spouse lives outside US: does spouse need ITIN? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I am a US Citizen living in the US full time. My husband is German, living in Europe full time. We got married in the US in September 2006. My husband is applying for a green card but meanwhile cannot enter the US, due to immigration rules. Therefore we have not lived in the US together...

Recently Married to a foreigner, LIving Overseas. How do I file? [ 4 Answers ]

Help! I have lived in Spain for several years. I qualify for Foreign Earned Income and the Foreign Housing Deduction. I am self-employed. I married a Spaniard in Nov 2006. I am trying to file my taxes and I'm not sure what status to use. He's not an American citizen, we don't live in the U.S. and...

On H1B with H4 dependent spouse - Can I file spouse for exemption? [ 2 Answers ]

HI Guys! I am on H1b Visa and my husband got here in May 2008 as H4 dependent (meaning he can't work and is dependent upon my income) What Tax form should I use? Also I'm confuse with this personal exemption explanation I got from the IRS website: Your Spouse's Exemption

H1B, Non-resident spouse overseas, Filing Status [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have been working in the US on H1B since Aug 2006 (more than a year as of date). Last month, in Dec 2007, I returned to my home country to get married. Subsequently, I came back to US to continue working, while my spouse still remains in the home country as she needs to work. We have plans...

H1b filing 2007 ITR with H4 spouse working overseas [ 9 Answers ]

Hi. I have some questions and hope you could give me an advice. I'm a Filipino citizen, H1b holder, arrived in the US on June 2007 together with my spouse (H4) and 2 toddlers (H4). After I received my SSN, I started working in the US by last week of July 2007. I have no job in the Philippines...

View more questions Search