Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chelayna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2009, 06:56 PM
    401k Withdrawl
    I thought I read somewhere that you can avoid penalties on early withdrawal of 401k in emergency situations like evictions, is that true?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 23, 2009, 07:16 PM

No. A Plan does not have to permit withdrawals period. However, if they permit only hardship withdrawals one of the permissible reasons is to forestall foreclosure, not evictions. And, even if a hardship withdrawal is permitted the 10% penalty and tax liabilities still apply.

Feb 23, 2009, 08:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewizard View Post
    Haha you could roll it to an IRA and then pull it out with no penalties.
    Not necessarily. If the plan doesn't permit withdrawals, they can't take it out to roll it over.
    Thewizard Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Feb 23, 2009, 08:51 PM

Yes, but if he leaves his job, then instead of rolling it to his new one he can avoid the penalty by IRAing it. Anyhow you right, but I know most plans let you take loans, mine did and its up to half of what you have earned, well it was with Principal 401k's. There are ways to do it, you might not get all your cash unless you leave your job but you can still access it. Do what I did and call the company, they are very helpful.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 24, 2009, 08:46 AM
    Yes, but if he leaves his job, then instead of rolling it to his new one he can avoid the penalty by IRAing it.
    Not in this case - the exceptions for avoiding the 10% early withdrawal fee on an IRA withdrawal do not include using the money to forestall eviction.

Feb 24, 2009, 10:41 AM
    Yes, but if he leaves his job,
    So you think someone should leave their job so they can a distribution that they can roll over? And, as ebaines pointed out, that still wouldn't qualify him for a waiver of the penalty.

Please THINK before you answer questions here. We pride ourselves on the quality of the advice we give.

The advice to seek a loan though, was good.
    Thewizard Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Feb 24, 2009, 11:16 AM

Scott that is not what I meant, I did not tell him to leave his job. If your going to quote me then do it correctly. I was simply stating that there are ways around the fees and that some people think it is impossible to get their money without paying huge fees, and its not. But OK, since your such an expert on 401k I won't post in this thread.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2009, 11:19 AM
    Haha you could roll it to an IRA and then pull it out with no penalties.

Ha ha - this is not always correct.

Feb 24, 2009, 04:30 PM
    Scott that is not what I meant, I did not tell him to leave his job. If your going to quote me then do it correctly. I was simply stating that there are ways around the fees and that some people think it is impossible to get their money without paying huge fees, and its not. But ok, since your such an expert on 401k I wont post in this thread.

No you didn't directly tell him to leave his job, but youy did say that's a way to avoid the penalty. So you advocated leaving a job to avoid the penalty. That may not be what you meant, but that is the way it came out. That's what I meant by you need to think your answer through before posting.

The law governing 401Ks DOES make it extremely difficult to get your money out without paying a penalty. That's by design.

And I'm not asking or suggesting that you don't post in this forum. I'm just exaplaining that you need to be more careful that your answers are accurate and pertinent. Your advice in this thread wasn't

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k withdrawal after 59 1/2 [ 10 Answers ]

What do you pay in taxes when you start to withdraw funds from your 401k after 59 1/2 if you have no other income? Also, how much are you required to withdraw from your 401k after 59 1/2?

401K withdrawal [ 2 Answers ]

I am wanting to possibly withdrawl my 401K, which is about 13,000. I know that there are penalties and taxes, but approxiamately how much would I receive? Is it taxed when withdrawn or are the taxes paid at income tax time?

401k withdrawal after 59.5 [ 1 Answers ]

What is my tax liability if I withdraw from my 401k after 59.5 ?

401K withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

My husband had his 401k accidentally mailed to our Georgia address. He was a legal resident of Tennessee at the time. I mailed the check to his TN address. No Georgia state taxes were taken out. He became a legal resident of TN on January 30th, 2006. Will he have to claim full, partial or none...

401k withdrawal [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there is a time frame in which my previous employer has to deliver my 401k withdrawl to me once I have requested it from him? It seems to be dragging on way too long. What legal action can I take?

View more questions Search