Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2009, 10:03 AM
    Shoplifting and Canada
    Hello experts:

I'm still waiting for ANY explanation, reasonable or not, why MOST Canadians who post on the criminal law board, do so because they shoplifted.

Is that a good thing, or a bad thing? Does it mean the worst crime happening in the Great White North is shoplifting??

I KNOW it means something. I just don't know what.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2009, 10:08 AM

With all due respect to my Canadian friends it seems to be a national sport, like Hockey.

Very few Canadian matrimonial/family law problems posted, very few.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2009, 10:10 AM
    Rites of passage perhaps. We are a misunderstood people. Not a litigious society here.
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2009, 10:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Rites of passage perhaps. We are a misunderstood people. Not a litigious society here.

Eh?
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2009, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Eh?
    See I got that. :)

... or are you really confused by my post?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2009, 10:20 AM
    We are a misunderstood people.
    Hello Need:

It's amazing how one can carry certain notions throughout one's life, and never have them challenged...

Until I traveled in Mexico, I used to think Mexicans were just like us, because they're RIGHT THERE. Turns out, they're NOT like us.

Until your post, I've been laboring under the impression that Canadians are just like us, because you're RIGHT THERE. Plus, you speakee the English.

Looks like I've been wrong. I sure do like the bud you grow, though.

excon
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2009, 11:12 AM
    See I got that. :)

..... or are you really confused by my post?

No, "eh" is the only Canadian I speak.

"We" say youse, as the plural of you.
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2009, 11:35 AM
    Ex,
    The bud is a west coast thing, I'm in the east coast. When I backpacked through Europe after university I came out with the feeling that we are ALL the same. The fanatics on this board are not representative of the general population of any country. We're an easygoing bunch.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2009, 06:49 PM

Yes, Excon, I've also wondered about the rash of Canadian shoplifters who post here. The Canadians even shoplift when they visit Russia! And the most striking thing about that is they are in a tourist town and they somehow have "collected" numerous souvenirs in their coat pockets that they never paid for from all the different shops they were in up and down the same block! A policeperson friend of mine who worked and lived in a seacoast town in Russia remarked how many Canadian shoplifters they arrested more than any other country. They shoplift in the US. Down in Florida they would constantly get caught. They shoplift in Canada. Even people who have moved to Canada have shoplifted. Maybe it's a mandatory shoplifting course you must take before crossing the boarder. Either they're a nation of kleptos or they have bad role models. Or they must give classes in high school on shoplifting. I know that Canadians are generally cheap (first hand knowledge from Florida) but being so cheap that they cannot purchase something no matter how inexpensive is abhorrant. And the get a "ticket and pay a fine" law that they have there is ludicris and teaches nothing but shoplift some more. And the tellingly wacked out comments of NK are a prime example of their real mentality or lack thereof.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2009, 07:03 PM

I think it may be the way Canada addresses the issue, they merely give them a date to report for photo and prints and it leaves the person going " what is happening"

In the US, they get handcuffed and taken to jail, processed and given a court date. Leaves little to image.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Feb 23, 2009, 07:38 PM
    I think it depends on whether it's 'under' or 'over' a certain amount.

A kid lifting an eyeliner or chocolate bar (not candy bar ;)) who gets caught, has their parents called, and the manager of the store issues, generally, a year long ban.

Larger thefts of course, people are charged.

I don't think we are different so much, except we have free health care and no guns, otherwise I doubt you could pick me out of a crowd at Walmart.

Oh, and better beer!
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2009, 04:04 PM
    Twinkie,
    I feel the love.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 25, 2009, 04:06 PM
    Sorry excon, but certain comments have taken this over the top.
    Now if you'd like it reopened feel free to PM me and it shall be done.

Everyone, please remember to be civil.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Shoplifting penalties in canada [ 11 Answers ]

A friend of mine got caught shoplifting. He was caught in the parking lot of the store he stole from. He refused to go in, but gave the merchandise back to the plain clothes security guard by going back into the store and putting it in a shopping basket. The guard knew him from years before and...

Shoplifting in canada [ 7 Answers ]

I am a traveller with little money on a working visa in canada and I took a pen from a store and as I was leaving I heard code 88 over the loud speaker. No one approached me and I walked away fine. I have never done anything like this before and I am worried that I will get caught as I have...

Shoplifting in canada [ 3 Answers ]

I got caught shoplifting at sears and I am facing a court. The total amount was $545 and it was more than 10-15 items. I would like to know what are the charges and the fines and if I am going to have a criminal record. Or if there is any other way so I could make this change. Thanks. p.s. I...

What are my options after Caught shoplifting-first offence in Canada [ 0 Answers ]

Hi All, I did this stupidest mistake last week. Yes it is shoplifting. I was caught shoplifting at Zellers , Ontario, Canada of $10 worth stuff. The LP officer took me to their back office, called cop and Cop got me this citation to appear in court next month. It happened last week, since then I...

Shoplifting in canada [ 2 Answers ]

I am living in canada and I've been charged with shoplifting and I am under 18. Should I tell my boss at work about this?

View more questions Search