Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MsUSC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2009, 10:36 AM
    Can Child support be waived by mother not wanting it
    I Live in California and want to have a baby with my best friend but I do not want child support from him or any monetary support. He is afraid that he will be forced to pay child support. Can I legally sign off the rights to any financial support?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 10:46 AM

You can legally sign of any rights to financial support.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2009, 10:51 AM

If your question is can you PERMANENTLY waive child support, the answer is no. The father cannot waive his rights; the mother cannot waive hers; the child's rights cannot be waived. There is always the possibility that the mother will file for child support, including college expenses, against the father.

Of course, the mother can simply not file for support or, if it is ordered, refuse to accept it but nothing is permanent.

I know of no law to the contrary.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsUSC View Post
    I Live in California and want to have a baby with my best friend but I do not want child support from him or any monetary support. He is afraid that he will be forced to pay child support. Can I legally sign off the rights to any financial support?
    No, but of course you don't have to ask for support and it will always be up to you to ask for it. So in other words, he's going to have to trust you on that one! Also, be mindful that if you go public assistance you then sign over your rights to support to the welfare agency which in turn goes to the non-custodial parent for reimbursement at the guideline child support amount (which they are entitled to even if what they pay out is less than the amount of the welfare benefits you get)--you can't stop them from doing that. I don't see any way of assuring the to-be dad that he'll never have to worry about support short of a step-parent adoption that would take him out of the picture or what we call a "second parent" adoption, meaning someone else adopting in place of a person you might be married to (assuming you are unmarried). Second parent adoptions are fairly unusual but a theoretical possibility.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 05:00 PM

But the "father" has to take a risk that in 10 years the mother could change her mind
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2009, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    But the "father" has to take a risk that in 10 years the mother could change her mind

- or at any age until majority.
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2009, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    You can legally sign of any rights to financial support.

This must be the case in Canada; it is not the law in the US - and, of course, I do not know where OP is.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2009, 08:48 AM
    Couple things.

To make decisions NOW that will effect YOU and your BABY for the next 21 years, isn't a good idea. As you've heard, you can't do it anyway...

Besides, what happens if you find yourself living from hand to mouth in the future, while the father of your child strikes it rich. He IS the father. Shouldn't HE have to share in the costs of childrearing? Even if YOU don't think so, what about your child?? Isn't he/she entitled to a vote? Maybe they don't want to live poorly. Why would you resign THEM to live that kind of life?

Which brings up another point... I'll bet the other half of the agreement that you're NOT talking about, has to do with custody and visitation with the father. I'll bet in exchange for his foregoing child support, you're trying to elicit a no visitation order from him...

You can't make an agreement like that, either. Because, maybe the Father might want to take part in his child's life. You're not going to be able to stop him.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father Asks mother for child support when mother has no money [ 2 Answers ]

My mother got re-married and had my little brother with this man. He is now 10, I'm 15 and my sister is 17. (Our father pays child support but not on a regular basis, you can't depend on it) About 3 years ago they separated and got a divorce. We had custody of him. Then my brothers father filed...

Father wants to sign over rights, Not wanting to pay child support out of paycheck [ 4 Answers ]

The father of my son wants to sign over all parental rights, and apay child support on his own and not through the paycheck. Is that possible? Is it also possible if I go to welfare and try to get assistance that they won't go after his paycheck? I need the help, but I don't want his...

Can I sue my mother for back child support ? [ 10 Answers ]

My mom got custody of me at the age of 4 when my parents divorced and she kept me to the age of 6. I was neglacted while living with my mother. Then I moved in with my Aunt at 7 but my Aunt didn't get custody of me till I 13.I would like to use her because growing up she refused to pay even after...

Parents not wanting to support or take care of child [ 1 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend, the father of my three year old, does not support my child or want to watch him at anytime for me even when my son asks him too. He still lives with his mom and his mom takes care of him when he is over there, not his father, he does other things instead. My son says he mostly...

View more questions Search