Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoAnn2 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 05:18 PM
    Can the IRS levy a corporate checking account?
    I owe IRS money, I heard that if I had a corporate bank account the IRS can't take the money. Is this true? Let me know
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2009, 06:11 AM

Hello again, Jo:

I already answered your question... But, I also told you that if you wanted MORE help, that you would have to answer a few questions of ours first...

I guess you don't want to do that... Okee, doakee.

If you'd like to tell me the CIRCUMSTANCES, I'd be happy to help.

But I AIN'T going to GUESS.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 07:33 AM

Without more info this is like guessing what's on the second shelf of your refrigerator.

I am guessing cottage cheese. Am I right?

Feb 18, 2009, 09:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, Jo:

I already answered your question.... But, I also told you that if you wanted MORE help, that you would have to answer a few questions of ours first....

I guess you don't wanna do that... Okee, doakee.

If you'd like to tell me the CIRCUMSTANCES, I'd be happy to help.

But I AIN'T gonna GUESS.

excon
    My brother owes the IRS lots of money. He us going to receive a large sum of money and he said he was going to put it in a corporate account and the IRS can't levy this type of account. Is this true? It is way over $100,000

Thank you,

Jo Ann
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2009, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoAnn2 View Post
    My brother owes the IRS lots of money. He us going to receive a large sum of money and he said he was going to put it in a corporate account and the IRS can't levy this type of account. Is this true?
    Hello again, JoAnn:

No. It's NOT true.

Even though the corporation doesn't owe the money, the IRS will know that he put the money in the corporate account in order to avoid paying. The IRS will "pierce the corporate veil" and take the money.

Perpetrating this fraud upon the government is a criminal offense, too. Plus, there's a good chance the money will be seized before he even gets it.

excon

Feb 18, 2009, 03:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, JoAnn:

No. It's NOT true.

Even though the corporation doesn't owe the money, the IRS will know that he put the money in the corporate account in order to avoid paying. The IRS will "pierce the corporate veil" and take the money.

Perpetrating this fraud upon the government is a criminal offense, too. Plus, there's a good chance the money will be seized before he even gets it.

excon
    Thank you for this information. Why doesn't the attorney have to report amount of inheritance to the IRS? How does IRS find out?
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2009, 04:09 PM

Hello again, J:

The IRS is a glorified collection agency. They can find your accounts even faster than a regular one can. Besides, when you open a corporate account, you have to provide your SS number.

I don't know if the attorney reports to the IRS or not. There probably IS a final probate tax return due that has to be filed. That's another way for the IRS to know.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 04:15 PM

All amounts of bank action over cetain levels gets reported to the government.

A corporation that allows personal and business money to mix is at risk, So it can be gotten very easy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Corporate account levy [ 1 Answers ]

Can the IRS levy a corporate checking account?

Levy on checking account [ 5 Answers ]

Recently I had a levy placed against my checking account in the state of Missouri. When I received copies from my bank the numbers were clearly wrong. I immediately contacted the collections people and asked them about it. They stated they didn't know anything about that. We then made a three...

Can they levy a corporate account if the judgment is personal [ 1 Answers ]

They levied my personal bank account. It is a credit card judgment, can they also levy my corporate account? Logic dictates that they can not because it is a separate entity. We all know that logic is for idiots so that's why I am inquiring. Thank you.

Checking Account Levy [ 1 Answers ]

If my checking account has a Levy on it can I cash a paycheck from it? I live in California

Frequency of IRS levy on checking account [ 1 Answers ]

Will the IRS continually levy my checking account every time I put money in it or can they only levy it one time per tax issue? I need to transfer money into the checking account so that I can pay bills and keep other checks from bouncing.

View more questions Search