Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Royce Steele Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 05:45 AM
    My Electric Water Heater is not filling up OR heating water!
    First: Does the breaker have to be on for my water heater to fill up? I turned the breaker on after draining it a little, and it isn't filling it back up...

Second: How long should I have to wait for my water heater to heat the water again?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 06:28 AM

The breaker has nothing to do with the flow of water.

The breaker supplies the power to the heating elements.

Do you have a near by sink? If you do, open the hot water spigot and then fill the tank.

Leave the breaker off until the tank is full.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 18, 2009, 06:59 AM
    Donf nailed it! When you drain your water heater and refill it you should always open a hot water faucet to relieve the air pressure built up as the tank fills. The breaker should always be off until the tank's completely filled to protect the elements from burning out.
    How long should I have to wait for my water heater to heat the water again?
    You should hear the heater began to heat as soon as the breaker's turned on and have hot water in 1/2 hour. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Hot Water Heater Wire Panel Filling With Water From Tank [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently installed a new electric hot water heater. I have connected all the wires properly, I have connected the piping in the correct manner, and filled the tank. I was about to flip my breaker to turn the water heater on, and noticed a little moister around the panel that the wires come...

Water Heater sounds like filling up [ 1 Answers ]

Why do the water heater sound like it is filling up? ONe note is that water is coming from the relief pressure line

Inadequate hot water from electric water heater [ 3 Answers ]

My hot water isn't hot like it use to. It lasts for 5 minutes in the shower. Can get one more time if I turn off for a few minutes. The water heater has never been serviced or water flushed since we moved here since 1980. I drained some of the water the other day and didn't notice any sediment...

New electric water heater low hot water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced an old electric hot water heater, roughly 10+ years old, with a new one. This was done in the early am, before noon. It is now evening, after 6pm EST. and I've noticed two things. 1) My hot water pressure is now low in all of my faucets, but the cold water is fine. 2) The water...

Replaced electric water heater Atlanta area, but no hot water [ 14 Answers ]

The old water heater died. Bot one (38 gals) at HD. Installed exactly like the old one was as follows--3 CPVC pipes come out of wall. Two are joined. Before they are joined one has a valve. After they are joined there is a second valve. The pipe is connected to the cold side of the heater using...

View more questions Search