Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    novicehomeowner Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2009, 10:16 PM
    Water leaking from toilet tank lid -- is water supposed to come out here?
    I've recently noticed water on the floor behind our toilet. I could see that water was dripping from the top of the tank so I opened the lid to see what was going on and this is what I saw...

Is this normal??

I checked the other bathroom in our house and that toilet does the same thing. I've noticed water in the past in that bathroom also but I thought it was just my husband making the mess while showering. This can't be right...
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2009, 10:20 PM

YOur picture didn't come out. Could you try uploading it again?

Feb 14, 2009, 10:22 PM

Sorry, the image didn't show in the last post...

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 14, 2009, 10:48 PM

Nice photo... I myself own Nikon D50 camera...
    Water should not be shooting upwards from the yellow cap. It should be coming out from that tube at the bottom of the tank. What happens is that water hits the lid from below and splashes over the edge and on to your floor. No, it is not normal. I think you will have to replace the fill valve - or at least take it apart and see what is making water come out from that opening.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 15, 2009, 08:24 AM
    The top of the ballcock isn't correctly clamped down. Try to reinstall it correctly and if that doesn't work replace with a Fluidmaster Ballcock, (see image). Good luck, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 15, 2009, 08:29 AM
    Hi Novice...

Don't bother to disassemble the unit... will be easier to simply replace the fill valve.

Here, purchase a fluidmaster fill valve (see picture) and shut off the water supply into the toilet.

Then flush the toilet to empty most of the water from the tank and then use a rag or sponge to remove the remaining water in the tank.

Now, remove the nut on the water supply tube and then loosen the nut from the fill-valve and discard the old fill-valve.

Then insert rubber washer over the shaft of the new fill valve and install the unit into the hole in tank. Install the nut and tighten hand-tight plus a half-turn or so... do not overtighten. Connect the water supply tube nut.

Then pull up on the round slip nut (as indicated in picture below) and set the unit so it allows water to fill to within 1" of the overflow pipe in the center of the tank.

Hook the flexible hose to the fill valve and the other end to the overflow pipe in the center of the tank.

Turn water on and test the setup.

You may need to make some adjustments by resetting the slip nut or by screwing the adjustment screw on the side of the float.

Finally, if the shutoff to the toilet drips after turning back on you may need to tighten the packing nut (see picture) to the shutoff. If so, give an 1/8th turn clockwise and see if that stops the drip.

This will take all of about 10-15 minutes maximum to do this repair. The package has full installation instructions with it.

Good luck...

HI TOM!! POSTING ON TOP OF YOU AGAIN!!

MARK
    Attached Images

twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2009, 01:20 PM

Mass - you definitely are right about not trying to fix a broken part. Sometimes it's more frustrating trying to fix something rather than replacing it with a new part. For less than $10 this should do the trick.

Feb 15, 2009, 06:37 PM

Thanks everyone! We ran out and got the fluidmaster fill valve to fix the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank doesn't refill. No water in tank make it flush [ 17 Answers ]

My toilet was working properly before tonight. :p There was no slow leak sound; nothing. Now when the handle is pressed, nothing happens. I opened up the tank and found there was no water in the tank. :( I've been searching the Internet for answers, but haven't found any that address this...

Hot water tank inlets leaking [ 3 Answers ]

My father and I installed a new water heater this weekend and the cold water inlet and hot water outlet is slowly leaking, how do I fix this problem?

Leaking Water Expansion Tank [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Watts Water Expansion Tank, I assume it is the 2 gallon size, that has developed a leak in the tank. It is attached to my hot water heater and when the cold water valve is turn on, a fine thin spray of water comes out of the top of the unit. It is not leaking where it is attached to...

Can I shut off water supply to leaking hot water tank? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I shut off water supply to leaking hot water tank?

Leaking water tank! [ 3 Answers ]

Help! Advice needed?? The over flow from our loft tank always leaks after hot water is used, we have two tanks in the loft and the smaller one is the one overflowing, the ball valve isn't leaking and the ball iself is intact but it does tend to be 80% submerged I have bought a new valve but...

View more questions Search