Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdharro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 12:18 AM
    Apartment renter co-signer rights
    I helped a friend in California rent an apartment by co-signing. She was later assisted by HUD section 8 subsidy for three years. Recently she was discontinued for eligibility. Will I be liable as a co-signer for rent payments?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2009, 06:54 AM

Hello jd:

I don't see why you WOULDN'T be.

If I was her landlord, and she didn't pay the rent, I'd go after her cosigner. Wouldn't you?

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 15, 2009, 06:56 AM

How long was the original lease for? Did you also co-sign any renewals? Most likely the lease expired and she renewed on her own. However, if you are still on the lease as co-signer, then you would be responsible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rights as an Apartment Dweller and Dog Urine Smell from Previous Renter [ 2 Answers ]

I moved into an apartment in Amarillo, Texas that was supposed to be painted and cleaned by 10/15. It was indeed painted and the carpet looked clean when I went in. As the paint smell diminished, I noticed a another pungent smell. I soon discovered it was dog urine. I could still see...

What is my rights as a renter [ 1 Answers ]

What's is my rights as renter. When the home owner decides to sell to another party.

What are my rights as a co-signer [ 4 Answers ]

I co-signed for my daughter for a very nice home and she is allowing her friends to come over and drink and party and destroy the home. I know I am responsible for the payments if they don't get paid but do I have any rights regarding protecting the property value?

Can I get a co signer for an apartment? [ 3 Answers ]

My husband doesn't have good credit, and I have no credit at all. We want to get an apartment but it will be better if we can get a co signer for us, so we can have our own place to live. Do you think it will be better for the co signer sign for us?

Rights to Co-Signer [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question about the rights of a co-signer. I am looking to get about a $100,000 first time home buyers loan. My father wants to be a co-signer on the loan. I know that if I can't pay the mortgage off, he will be the one to take on the bill. However, what other rights would he have to...

View more questions Search