Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    longl1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 07:29 PM
    Smoke detectors going off for no reason
    Battery operated smoke detectors going off for no apparent reason. First, batteries were replaced and it continued to happen. Then, three new smoke detectors were purchased, installed, and all new batteries used in the new detectors. The smoke detectors are still beeping just like before -- not all the time -- but are all still doing it. What is going on? Have you seen or heard of this before? These are not wired into the security system.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2009, 07:51 PM

Are they wired into the home's electric at all? Possibly something is not wired up correctly. This same thing happened to a new modular home that my company installed recently. It was the wiring.
    Rivethead Posts: 88, Reputation: 7

Feb 12, 2009, 08:09 PM

Are they alarming or just beeping like when the batteries are dead. If they are alarming obviously there is some form of particulate in the air tripping them.

What else is going on when they go off - furnace fan blowing? Gas fireplace? Candles burning?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2009, 06:14 PM

Possibly dust or dirt.
    Blowing out, or vacuuming out may fix.
    Retired Homeown Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 01:49 PM
    I have had a similar problem with one of my smoke detectors until I took it down off ceiling and noticed that the hoild in the ceiling which the wiring came through (mine are hardwired to an alarm system) was so large that it allowed dust to pass into the detector. Enough passed through that it would eventually alarm. Also if unit is in a high air draft location the air flow will act as a highway being all kinds of particles and other unseen debris into the unit. Last some units are very sensitive to very small charged particles so if you have a situation like I described above PLUS run your furnace fan all the time you will have a condition which is good to set the things off falsely.

I am aware that you placed new units in the same position and have put new batteries into them with no luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smoke Detectors Going off for no reason [ 13 Answers ]

Our smoke detectors in our home go off in the middle of the night for no reason. It starts w/ one and then before you know it all of them are going off. We have tried to vacumn them but they still go off at least once a month. They are only 4 years old.

Smoke detectors going off for no reason. [ 4 Answers ]

My house is 6 years old and all of a sudden my smoke detectors are going off for no reason. I have 1 in the basement 1 on the main floor and 4 on the second floor where the bedrooms are. In the last hour in a half the have gone off 4 times. They are wired into the electrical part of the house...

Smoke detectors go off for no reason [ 3 Answers ]

Every once in a while the smoke detectors in my house will beep for no reason. It is not the same beep that goes off when the batteried need to be changed or there is a fire. I looked in the trouble shooting section of the manual and the beeping that happens isn't even listed. I did change the...

Smoke detectors [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Besides the smoke detector that is require in the hallway, does the NEC require also to install them in all bedrooms or only in the master bedroom? Thanks

Smoke Detectors: Something is not right [ 2 Answers ]

I have 5 detectors in the house: 1 in the basement, 1 in the MBR on the first floor, and 3 upstairs in the bedroom. The detector in the basemet has a Green LED on. I am assuming it is the first detector in that circuit coming from the breaker box. Inside the basement detector are 4 other...

View more questions Search