Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hankins27 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2006, 07:43 PM
    Sudden loss of water pressure
    A couple of days ago I turned on the water at my kitchen sink and it came out with the usual force, but then about 10 seconds later it slowed down considerably. This continues to happen on both the cold and hot water, but I have not seen this happen at any of the other faucets in the house.

Thanks for any help,
    Steve
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 13, 2006, 05:44 AM
    Hi Steve,

What type of pipes do you have? Copper? Galvanized? Plastic?
    How old is your house? Well or city water? Have you removed the aerator from the spout and checked the screens to see if they're blocked? Answer my questions and I'll get back ASAP. Regards, tom

May 13, 2006, 01:07 PM
    Tom,

Thanks for the response... the supply lines are copper. The house was built in the '50's and I'm on city water. I haven't checked the screens to see if they are blocked. Not sure if I know exactly where they are but I will see if I can find them. I installed the faucet myself about a year ago and haven't had any troubles till now.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Eternal Plumber

May 13, 2006, 01:18 PM
    The aerator ia located on the end of the kitchen faucet spout and it just unsrews off. If you take it apart be very sure you put it back together the same way. Good luck, Tom

Aug 18, 2006, 12:46 PM
    Tom (or anyone else),

I removed the aerator and it was clean - not a spec of dirt anywhere. I ended up removing the entire spout from the piece underneath the sink - where the hot and cold water lines come together. I didn't see any dirt buildup or anything so I connected them back together and it seemed to solve the problem... for a few days. Now it's doing it again. Is there something I should be looking for in the part under the sink where the lines come together? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve
    kuslevbm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2006, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hankins27
    A couple of days ago I turned on the water at my kitchen sink and it came out with the usual force, but then about 10 seconds later it slowed down considerably. This continues to happen on both the cold and hot water, but I have not seen this happen at any of the other faucets in the house.

Thanks for any help,
    Steve
    Check small water filter at the end of the sink. It could be blocked.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 18, 2006, 02:39 PM
    Hi Steve,

I think what kusleybm is referring to is the arearor which you have already checked.
    " I ended up removing the entire spout from the piece underneath the sink - where the hot and cold water lines come together. I didn't see any dirt buildup or anything so I connected them back together and it seemed to solve the problem...for a few days. Now it's doing it again. Is there something I should be looking for in the part under the sink where the lines come together? "

I think you have some crud that may have fallen off the pipe walls and every time you make a draw it sucks up the crud and clogs the faucet. When you had the pipes off did you turn the water back on and flush out the supplies.
    If not do it and let me know what you find. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sudden loss of hot water pressure in entire house [ 13 Answers ]

Greetings, I have a sudden loss of hot water pressure in entire house (all showers, washing machine, sinks, etc.) Nothing has been touched or replaced. We have a well and our 50 gallon hot water heater is new - installed Sept. 2003. I have been reading this could be 'air pressure' related but...

Sudden pressure loss in Sink [ 1 Answers ]

My sink has suddenly lost pressure, I ran it for about 10 seconds and it was fine, a few minutes later I turned it on and it was nothing but a drizzle. I've checked around the lines and there is no leaking and it drizzles the same in both sprayer modes. Over the last hour it has picked up a...

Loss of water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I realize this question has been asked before but the proposed solutions have not corrected my problem. I have recenly renovated my kitchen and have added an island which includes my sink and dishwasher. After the plumbing had been connected, I noticed a considerable reduction in the...

Loss of pressure with hot water [ 2 Answers ]

I am not sure what model number shower we have, but we built our house in 1985 and the shower says Château by Moen. Earlier this morning about 3 hours ago, the shower worked as it usually does, however now, the only water pressure we have going to the shower head and to the faucet to fill the tub,...

Sudden hot water pressure loss, seeking advice! [ 1 Answers ]

Our shower recently began to act weird.  One day we had to turn the single control knob much hotter to get the same temp that we did before.  Now, about a month after that, we have to turn the knob even further, and we have lost a lot of our hot water pressure.  The rest of the house seems to have...

View more questions Search