Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Snapwrench Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2009, 08:17 PM
    Ankle monitoring taps
    What is the current law on authorities listening to conversations via my ankle monitor? I am on GA state felony probation. A drug charge. I am in a Drug Treatment Court Program and currently on "house arrest". I have a G.P.S. ankle monitoring device. This device does have a cell phone built into it. Is it possible or legal for law enforcement to listen in on me?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2009, 05:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapwrench View Post
    Is it possible or legal for law enforcement to listen in on me??
    Hello snap:

It's certainly possible, and if they have a warrant, it's legal too. But, you're not going to know about the warrant until later.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 06:38 AM

Technically, it could be modified to do so. As used in GA they do not function that way. The "cell phone" is just the signal transmitter that allows them to track your movements. They can tell basically the path you use to go places and more. So if you go two blocks up further, or go into the hooker or drug sell area they will know it.

Also remember you are already convicted, and under control of the court and/or under state control of the dept of corrections.

Most monitor service in Georgia is done though private contract companies, not by the police or court thierself.

Also as manufactored they do not transmit voice, merely gps homing signal to a central computer / monitor
    But I am sure we have some electronic people that could conviert yours easily.

As for a warrant, excon, do they need one for someone that is already on either parole or probation, since the PO has the right to search anytime without a warrant.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2009, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    As for a warrant, excon, do they need one for someone that is already on either parole or probation, since the PO has the right to search anytime without a warrant.
    Hello Padre:

Good catch. I missed the felony probation part...

You're right - but only to a degree.

A prisoner doesn't lose ALL his Fourth Amendment rights. And a prisoner who is on probation on the streets has MORE Fourth Amendment rights than one who is locked up.

Plus, a PO doesn't have the authority to search a probationer like a correction officer does..

In addition, he's on "house arrest". I don't know what that means. Did he violate? Are they looking for new charges? Is he awaiting a violation hearing??

So, without knowing a lot more about this particular case, I couldn't state categorically whether they need a warrant or not.

In terms of their technical ability to listen through this device, I wouldn't sell 'em short. If they WANTED to listen to this guy, I'm sure they have ankle bracelets that, not only listen, takes pictures, has face recognition technology, infra red night vision, and if he strays too far outside his zone, a predator will launch and he'll be nuked.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2009, 11:12 AM

The house arrest ankle bracelets are not able to transmit phone calls like a cell phone. They use a GPS tracking system. You need to remember that the alternative to house arrest and ankle bracelets is jail. Which would you like? House arrest frees up jail cell space and costs the house arrestee money for the monitoring fees involved. If you feel that paranoid about possibly having any conversations sent to the police, you need to learn sign language or write your conversation down on paper.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitoring Software [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone can help me with this problem, I need to find some software to monitor internet usage. It is going to be used on a small w2k3 domain with about 10 workstations. Does anyone know of a good freeware or commercial app that will do this? Ideally it needs to be...

Bathroom Taps - Mixer Tap v Individual Hot & Cold Taps [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about Bathroom Taps. I am buying a Mixer tap for my new washhand basin which has one hole for the tap. My bath has 2 holes i.e.. One for a hot tap and one for a cold tap. I would like to buy 2 bath taps similar to my mixer tap but they don't appear to be...

Monitoring calls [ 2 Answers ]

My friend wants to get all calls from his cell phon in the past and future!how would she do that!

Chat monitoring [ 2 Answers ]

How can I know if anyone in the network is monitoring my chatting on yahoo/msn

Desktop monitoring [ 6 Answers ]

Hi can anyone tell me which is better monitoring software other than VNC and LOGMEIN . And it should be easier to handle:confused:

View more questions Search