Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    isacoronado Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 09:10 AM
    Marriage - Catholic and Hindu
    I am Catholic and my boyfriend is Hindu. When it comes to the Catholic church there are a lot of rules about marriage. A rule says that you can marry someone outside your religion if they sign a paper agreeing to raising the kids catholic. Is there a way around this rule? Is there a way to marry through a christian church and it be the same thing? What I want is to marry in a church in front of the eyes of God while raising my kids with both religions and let them pick once they are older. What can I do?
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 09:21 AM
    I married a Catholic, and not only had to sign the paper agreeing to raise my children as Catholics, but I had to take instruction classes!

I would contact churches and church organizations in your area, and tell them that you wish a christian wedding, without regard to being Catholic, or Hindu.

There are ministers who will marry people of mixed faith.

But, I highly doubt that there is any way around the Catholic rules for marriage.
    sylvan_1998 Posts: 156, Reputation: 45

Feb 9, 2009, 11:34 AM

Actually, ask your church and priest. And if you do not like that answer, ask another priest somewhere else. While the answers are supposed to be the same and the rules straight forward, each priest sometimes has a different interpretation.

For example, Godparents. Some priest want a man and a woman to be god parents. Luckily my priest okayed my two sisters to godparent my son. Try... you never know.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2009, 01:29 PM

Keep in mind as well, you don't have to marry in a church to have it be in the eyes of God. There are many Christian churches that you could look into... or even Christian ministers, pastors, or priests who will perform the ceremony outside of an actual church building.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 02:42 PM

They are loosening rules somewhat, but to be honest, I have issues since the difference in faith, you can't be really that strong of Catholic, or raising your children catholic would be very important to you. I am sorry to be rude, as a Catholic ( christian) you would know and feel that your soon to be husband was not saved and would not go to heaven, so you would not be with him in eternity.

And down the road he would not be going to church with you, assumign you go regularly and not having group famly events around your faith.

And what explains to the chidren, when mommies church says that daddy is doomed to hell, sort of hard to explain to a 8 year old.

But there are groups such as my group and other independent catholics that will marry people of mixed marriage. ** I don't like to but do it since it comes with the collar.
    proteas Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Feb 10, 2009, 04:56 AM

Since your issue is that of bringing up kids you have to consider two things:
    1. Do you intend to bring up the kids in two faiths, or are you expecting your husband to do it for the Hindu faith? It is really he who has to sign the agreement since the church assumes that you will bring up your kids catholic.

2. The "paper" only asks you to sign that "as of this time" you intend to bring up the kids catholic. Your husband has the freedom to change his mind in the future. The church assumes that you and your husband mean it when you sign the paper.

We have a similar marriage and I (husband) bring up our kids in the faith. My wife is supportive and does not impose hinduism on the kids. Other than the occasional puja at home (once a year or so) with her Mom, there are no other vestiges of hinduism in the kids lives.

The biggest mistake you could make is to try to bring up kids in 2 faiths. Even the most staunch catholic have to take leaps of faith to resolve issues between the real world and doctrine. Imagine the plight of an 8 year old trying to resolve these differences.

I know of couples who have tried the two-faith model... one of them did so when the kids were teens... and while it didn't confuse the kids right off, they both turned out non-practicing catholics (and non practising Muslims) by their 20s.

Being the religious in a two faith marriage is not easy so be prepared to do a lot more than you would do as an individual... cause kids follow.

Best of luck!
    proteas Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Feb 10, 2009, 05:22 AM

Since your issue is that of bringing up kids you have to consider two things:
    1. Do you intend to bring up the kids in two faiths, or are you expecting your husband to do it for the Hindu faith? It is really he who has to sign the agreement since the church assumes that you will bring up your kids catholic.

2. The "paper" only asks you to sign that "as of this time" you intend to bring up the kids catholic. Your husband has the freedom to change his mind in the future. The church assumes that you and your husband mean it when you sign the paper.

We have a similar marriage and I (husband) bring up our kids in the faith. My wife is supportive and does not impose hinduism on the kids. Other than the occasional puja at home (once a year or so) with her Mom, there are no other vestiges of hinduism in the kids lives.

The biggest mistake you could make is to try to bring up kids in 2 faiths. Even the most staunch catholic have to take leaps of faith to resolve issues between the real world and doctrine. Imagine the plight of an 8 year old trying to resolve these differences.

I know of couples who have tried the two-faith model... one of them did so when the kids were teens... and while it didn't confuse the kids right off, they both turned out non-practicing catholics (and non practising Muslims) by their 20s.

Being the religious in a two faith marriage is not easy so be prepared to do a lot more than you would do as an individual... cause kids follow.

Best of luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Catholic marriage divorce' wanting to re-marry [ 7 Answers ]

I was married in the catholic church and now divorced. I've met a wonderful man who has asked me to marry him, and I'd like to get married by a priest or minister close to the catholic religion. I do not wish to obtain an annulment of my first marriage.

Catholic and Christian Marriage [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am Catholic and my fiancée is Protestant Christian. We plan to get married soon but we both agree that we want to give respect to each of our own beliefs. With this we agree that we have two weddings. The first one would be Catholic and with families only and the second one would be the...

Prasads offered by hindu friends [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me that, is it permitted in Islam to eat the prasads offered by my hindu friends, brought from their homes or temples. Thanks in advance.

Secret hindu [ 1 Answers ]

I met a man who went on a spirtual journey to embrace hinduism. I was intruiged but want to know more, diet, daily rituals, things like that

Hindu marriage ritual [ 2 Answers ]

In hindu marriage how many times goes around the fire

View more questions Search