Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jay66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2009, 01:46 PM
    Filling holes the dog dug.
    My dog dug several holes in the yard. I tried filling them back in with soil, but she just easily dug out the same holes. How do I fill in the holes and make it as "hard" or "packed down" as the rest of the yard? Making it hard for her to dig them back out...
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 05:04 PM

I think its all but impossible to put dirt down a dog can't dig. Concrete would do that.

I think the better approach is to train the dog not to dig the yard up. Dogs like to bury things and dig for stuff.

Here I feel is a better approach instead of filling in the holes yet.

Behavior Problems - Digging Problems, Stop Your Dog from Digging in the Yard, Your Garden, in the Flowers
    Dog Training: Tips and Tricks to Stop Your Dog From Digging in Your Yard Photo Gallery by David Chin at pbase.com

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2009, 05:22 PM

Hi, jay66!

Putting fresh soil in the holes and wetting it should make the soil more compact. Chicken wire or other type of wire fencing placed over the holes for an extended period should give the soil a chance to dry, settle and then harden.

Even if you're successful in making the ground hard in those spots, she might just still dig a holes in the same spots. I've seen it where a dog will dig through soil that is very compacted and that also has a lot of landscaping rocks that were also in the soil. So, what I would suggest is addressing why your dog is digging as much as she is so that her doing that might be prevented.

The issue as to why dogs might dig holes where we don't want them to dig and taking preventive measures is described on many sites.

Here are links to some of them.

http://www.dogchatforum.com/stop_dog_digging.htm

How to Stop or Keep a Dog from Digging

Comments on How to Stop Your Dog From Digging Up the Lawn - eHow.com

How To Stop Dogs From Digging | Does Your Puppy Like To Dig?

How to Stop a Dog from Digging - wikiHow

Puppy and Dog Digging by Perfect Paws Dog and Puppy Training

How to Stop Your Dog From Digging Up the Lawn | eHow.com

How to Prevent a Dog From Digging the Lawn | DailyPuppy.com

Thanks!
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 11:03 AM

I have heard that if you put some of the dogs own feces in the hole before you fill it, they will be deterred.
    I myself usually lay a piece of fencing over the hole, if it's in the garden just cover it with bark, secure it with lawn staples. The routine of digging goes away, at least it did for me.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 04:41 AM

Ha... I have a very large dog, who doesn't have any bad habits. She doesn't even bury bones ! But she loves helping me dig a hole ! I say, 'dig taffy' and she is right into it, nose and all, dirt flying out behind her, thoroughly enjoying the experience. In fact, it does my heart and my humour good to see her happy, looking up at me, as much as to say 'see mom !'

I know this doesn't solve the problem, but I had to put this in here and share happy times for her and me.

Ms tickle

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No holes in nipples? [ 7 Answers ]

I am wondering because I have no holes in my nipples that is for the babies to suck on you know when birth. It is making me to start to think that I am unable to have kids? I just have a normal rounded nipples with no holes

Filling holes from inside to outside where #8 or other romex wires go through [ 3 Answers ]

I have air-conditioning #8 romex wire going from basement wall (wall is wood material) To the outside into a outside cutoff switch. I noticed air penetration is an issue with the One inch hole that the previous electrician drilled to the outside for this. I used caulking with little bit of...

Filling Old Holes on a Corian Counter [ 2 Answers ]

The old 3 hole faucet is replaced with a 1 hole faucet. That long piece designed to cover the old holes isn't long enough so I didn't put it on at all. What's the best way to cover or fill the old holes in a Corian Counter?

Rust holes [ 1 Answers ]

Can you fix rust holes in frame near rear wheelwell on a 1994 honda civic ex

Filling holes in hardwood floor [ 2 Answers ]

I'm patching the areas where old floor heater vents used to be. 1) Any good tips for getting tongue & groove boards into the gaps between existing boards that I haven't chiselled out? 2) Should I stain the new unfinished boards before or after putting them in the patch? 3) Should I put...

View more questions Search