Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bss1059 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 08:29 PM
    Sewer Gate/Check Valve
    Plumber recommending we install a sewer gate check valve system to avoid future back-ups when huge rains/thaws overwhelm storm sewer system. Has anyone used these - recommend? Plumber guarantees we will have no future problems.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2009, 11:14 PM

I totally disagree with never having a problem
    I would never put a check valve on again Never
    The problem with a check valve is, how is the sewer going to go through it when its closed from back up? It may stop the backup into house but you can't use the toilet etc! So what's the point here?

Ask him how does water go past the check valve when the water is backed up to that valve and it closed because of that and where does the next load of sewer waste go and so on.?

I would address the downspouts to see if its running into the drain field even if the field is way down slope.

I would check the tank and if it hasn't been pumped out in the last three years do it.

Also check grade around drianfeild for surface runoff away from the field.

You could install a dry well for if code allows it for laundry and spouts

Easy to install dry well kit solves roof runoff problems by taking gutter water away from your leaky basement. Save energy too!

How to Take Care of A Septic System, 2007 Updated Advice - Ten Simple Septic Maintenance Steps to Keep the Septic System Working Properly

You may need to treat the drainfeild also

How to Take Care of A Septic System, 2007 Updated Advice - Ten Simple Septic Maintenance Steps to Keep the Septic System Working Properly

So bottom line hear is I would address the actual problem and a check/plug will not do nothing even if it seals enough under low pressure. The line is clogged no matter what.

This is more seroius than you think If that drainfeild fails it starts about $15,000.00 on up to redoo because its either clogged, set to low. Or undersized in field and or tank(s)

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 4, 2009, 11:26 PM

I fully agree with 21Boat: Fix the problem. Do not try to "hide" it. It is bad idea to install check valve on sewer line.

Feb 5, 2009, 07:41 AM
    I don't know if this changes your answer or not, but this is a village sewer line NOT a septic tank situation. Believe me, I want the issue solved as well, not hiding! Please advise.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 5, 2009, 07:59 AM
    Sorry Milo and Boat but I disagree with both of you. Would I install a check valve on a septic tank line? No, I wouldn't! But we aren't talking about a septic tank are we?
    Boat sez,
    The problem with a check valve,(see image) is, how is the sewer going to go through it when its closed from back up? It may stop the backup into house but you can't use the toilet etc! So what's the point here?
    The point is that a check valve will stop the city sewer from backing up in your home. Of course you can't use your toilet or drainage until the city repairs the problem , but hey! In the meantime the check valve's preventing sewage from the street from entering your home.
    Think about it!! If the city sewer backs up into your house you won't be draining or flushing anyhow. The only thing is that you won't have a house full of sewage when it happens.
    Yourr plumber's correct. If you have backups from the street install the check valve, it's excellent insurance against a flood of ka-ka. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom

Feb 5, 2009, 09:40 AM
    The beauty of this whole situation is the village denies that there is a problem on their end - that the system is overwhelmed & that's just the way it is. They even told me once when there was a heavy rain & the neighbors called them out to discuss, that to protect back-up, place something over the floor drain like a weighted bucket. Duh, if it can't get in the floor drain it will find another opening. I've also wondered since we never used to have any problems if some of the other neighbors on our culdesac have instituted something similar which is why we now have had problems when there are huge rains, etc. The back up is not with a normal rain, just the torrential rains coupled with big snow thaw.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 5, 2009, 04:51 PM

Are you the lowest house on the street ? Do any of your neighbors experience sewer back ups as well ?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 5, 2009, 05:10 PM

Please clearify, did the guy recommend a check valve inline with the sewer line or simply a floor drain check valve.

Feb 5, 2009, 08:10 PM
    We are not the lowest house on the culdesac, in fact, slightly higher than most. A handful of homes on this street have had problems in the past, & always when they did we never had a problem. Struggling with why we now have problems & no one else does, but guess its just our turn! The recommendation was for a sewer gate check valve in the sewer line, not at a drain, installed interior as opposed to exterior. Cost $4600. Master plumber at the company we are working with also mentioned if the recommended valve was installed near the vent stack it could allow the use of the upstairs facilities but block backflow - I didn't quite understand this but it's more appealing, both for being able to use the facilities, & because the location would be more amenable. Talked with homeowners insurance who has friend who has this & finds it quite effective. Talked with village water & sewer dept rep who states several have done this for similar situations, & he finds the cost quite high, recommends getting additional estimates.
    Appreciate all of your thoughts as this is something we've never dealt with!
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 6, 2009, 07:06 AM
    The recommendation was for a sewer gate check valve in the sewer line, not at a drain, installed interior as opposed to exterior. Cost $4600.
    Sounds pricey simply to dig down, cut the line and install a check valve. Get a few more estimates.
    Master plumber at the company we are working with also mentioned if the recommended valve was installed near the vent stack it could allow the use of the upstairs facilities but block backflow
    Send your "Master Plumber" back to Plumbing School. Let's see exactly what would happen if a check valve were installed on the stack vent, (not the vent stack. He didn't really mean the vent stack did he?)
    You have a check valve installed at the base of the stack and the city sewer backs up. The first thing it would do is to flood your basement with sewage when it backs up out of the floot drain. The back up hits the check valve and closes it. Your home is now closed off from the city sewer and any thing that's flushed or drained will start to build up in the stack until it reaches the first fixture. From there on in anything that you flush or drain will exit out the lowest fixture onto your floor. In the meantime any fixture or floor drasin in the basement will continue to spew out Ka-Ka. I can see the sense of installing a check valve on the sewer line but on the stack? Doesn't make good plumbing sense.
    Tell me again how this helps?
    Talked with homeowners insurance who has friend who has this & finds it quite effective. Talked with village water & sewer dept rep who states several have done this for similar situations,
    Can you put me in contact with the Insurance Company that finds this action to be beneficial ? I would like to question the reasoning behind the recommendation. Back to you, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 6, 2009, 08:28 AM

I agree with Tom's point. Once there is a backup, check valve or not, there simply is no place for flushed sewage to go. I am starting to wonder about that master plumber you are talking to.
    sunshine0 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2011, 02:22 AM
    I think nothing can guarantees we will have no future problems.but If you want to have a try you should
    Ask him following questions as follow:
    1.how does water go past the check valve
    2.when the water is backed up to that valve and it closed because of that and where does the next load of sewer waste go and so on
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2011, 06:15 AM

Admin note: link in the above post changed to an image link.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 13, 2011, 06:31 AM

Thanks Rick!

Sunshine, you posted a picture of an industrial fitting... not anything someone will use residentially, right?

A residential check valve usually has a simple drop flapper that rises when sewage passes and is otherwiae in the dropped position all the time. In this way, if the outside sewer main backs up due to the city/town sewer system being overwhelmed, the flapper simply holds the sewage/rain water from flowing back into the home, right?

As Tom pointed out above, when the flapper is engaged you cannot use the house plumbing, or at the least you can't use it many times before the sewage would flow out the lowest fixture in the home, but eventually when the city/town issue was fixed the pipes would drain normally and you would resume use of the plumbing with no issues.

Hope that all made sense. Thanks for posting...

Mark
    Attached Images

hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 14, 2011, 03:27 PM

Note:
    Two year old post.
    john_edward Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Jan 17, 2012, 03:59 AM
    Addressing the answer posted below, which is preferable not being able to use your loo or having a house full of sewage? If there is a back pressure preventing the check valve operating then the valve is doing its job and preventing back flow problems, IE water backing up the system into the house. The only time problems will occur is if the valve sticks in the open or closed position.
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 17, 2012, 06:01 AM
    Hi John and Welcome to The Plumbing Page. At AskMeHelpDesk.com. You're responding to a 3 year old dead thread. Look in then upper left hand corner of the first post form the date before you post, Thanks,
    Good post! Let's see more of you. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer valve suggestions? [ 2 Answers ]

I have infrequent problems in very heavy rain with sewer backups in my basement. I have a shut off valve on the line that I can operate to restrict the problem, but there have been times with unexpected heavy rains while I was away from home and neglected to close the valve before leaving. Is...

Leaking gate valve [ 6 Answers ]

I have an 11/4" brass gate valve on the outlet of our boiler that is leaking on the top. Not out of the stuffing box, but just below out of a seam. What are the chances that there is some sort of sealant that I can put on there to stop the drip? Thanks in advance for your help! Bill

Sewer Clean-out Valve Relocation [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I recently had my sewer line replaced. Before the job I had the county locate the "clean out valve" which was situated in my front lawn about 3 feet from the concrete side walk. The plumbing company dug a 12 foot trench in the middle of my front lawn, tore out two sections of concrete...

Check valve question [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a washing machine and hooking into what was a shower drain. There will be no sink. I want to add a check valve to prevent dirty water flowing back into the washer in case of a clog. What type of check valve am I looking for? I haven't been able to find a suitable one at the...

View more questions Search