Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darrenwalk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2009, 12:10 PM
    Contesting a real property deed
    I want to contest the validity of a Virginia deed adding my sister as joint tenant w/ survivorship rts to a deed with my mother which purports to bear my mother's signature . On the date of the deed my mother was comatose and unable to sign or understand anything and she died soon after. She had always spoken of my having this property with my sister having another piece of property after her death. My sister now claims both properties. Do I contest through probate court or some other court . How do I do it? Will testimony from a VA Dr. who treated my Mom that says she was mentally unable to understand business transactions at that time, help ? Thank you
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2009, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenwalk View Post
    I want to contest the validity of a Virginia deed adding my sister as joint tenant w/ survivorship rts to a deed with my mother which purports to bear my mother's signature . On the date of the deed my mother was comatose and unable to sign or understand anything and she died soon after. She had always spoken of my having this property with my sister having another piece of property after her death. My sister now claims both properties. Do I contest thru probate court or some other court . How do I do it? Will testimony from a VA Dr. who treated my Mom that says she was mentally unable to understand business transactions at that time, help ? Thank you

You contest it at probate. That Judge will undoubtedly refer you to another Court but while it's pending you can pretty much freeze the estate.

Who witnessed the Deed? The fact that a Physician believes she was mentally unable to understand doesn't mean that will be the determination of the Court, however. Depending on who witnessed the signing and the questions asked your mother, this could be contested.

Promises made concerning inheritances are pretty much meaningless if there is paperwork which states to the contrary.

Your best defense is that a fraud has been committed.

EDIT: LISA IS RIGHT. I AM WRONG - this is not a probate matter. I do believe the standard of proof, however, is the same.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 3, 2009, 12:28 PM
    Yes you need to challenge this in probate and you will need her complete medical records and have the doctor and maybe even the nurse.
    Also a log to see if she even had visitors that day.

Also you will need to require the document be examined by a hand writing expert ( at your cost of course)

And you will have to also check into who witnessed the will. And question them.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 3, 2009, 12:48 PM
    You don't challenge this at probate. You challenge it RIGHT NOW. All your sister has to do in order to sell the property is to present a copy of your mother's death certificate. She can sell the property today.

Get an attorney right now, have them file a lis pendens on the property (so it can't be sold) and then have them file a lawsuit. DO NOT WAIT.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing a deed against real property [ 3 Answers ]

I loaned a family member money to buy property. They have defaulted on the agreement can I file a lien againt the property?

Real estate deed [ 2 Answers ]

My spouse died 2 months ago. We owned a home jointly. Can I remove my spouse's name from the deed, in order to sell the home, or will I have to go through probate? I live in Michigan.

Real Estate Deed [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a home a few months prior to my husband and I getting married. It is in my previous name plus he is not on the mortgage; it's been this way for close to 9 years now. But we are currently seeking a refinance opportunity and were told he must be on the deed to be considered as part of the...

Real Estate's Deed [ 1 Answers ]

How do I add my wife's name to mhome deed?

Are they real property! [ 3 Answers ]

We are going to be putting our home up for sale in the next few months and, I have seen and heard of horror stories that have arisen in real estate transactions. I already know not to get to friendly because, this purely is a business transaction. I will be very cordial and try not get wrapped up...

View more questions Search