Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    William Osborne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2009, 03:39 AM
    How can I file my taxes without a W2 form ?
    I had worked for an employer who paid me by check, but I had to pay my own income taxes and state taxes at the end of the year. I was laid off from this job back in June of last year.. I have requested my w2 form from them several times, and here it is the 3rd of February and I still don't have it, I am expecting a rather large tax return from another compay that I work for, but am still waiting for my w2's from this former employer, can I use my pay stubs from that job in place of the w2 form ? Otherwise what can I do ?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 3, 2009, 09:47 AM

If your employer was not withholding taxes for you (federalk and state income tax, social security, medicaire) then you were apparently considered to be an independent contractor, not an employee. In this case the company should send you a 1099 form, not a W-2. I believe they have until Feb 17 to send this out - the deadline used to be Jan 31 but this year Congress authorized an extension. I suggest you not file prior to receiving your 1099.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wrong filing! H1-B File Form 1040 instead of Form 1040NR [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, Here is my situation: my OPT started from May 2006-May 2007. My H1-B started from Oct. 2007. I hired a CPA to file the tax for me in 2006 and 2007 w/ the form 1040. I just talked to my friend and she said in my situation I should file form 1040NR instead. So what should I do now? ...

H1-B file form W-8BEN or form W-9? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have been on H1-B visa since Oct 05, and before that I was on F-1 for about a year or so. I am participating in my employer's stock purchase plan and the brokerage firm that administers this is asking me to fill out a form W-9 or a form W-8BEN. Which form should I be filling out? Am I...

File W-7 form without tax return and why to file as a resident alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I came to USA in August 2004 on F1 Visa. I graduated and change status to H1b visa from October 2007. Now, I got married and my hasband came to USA on January 2008 on H4 visa. I have my brothers whom I can claim as they have green card and not earning anything. I will have to wait till May 2008...

Used Wrong Form to File 2006 Fed. Taxes [ 10 Answers ]

I've always filed a 1040EZ. This year nothing has changed except that I had an HSA account in 2006. I've been told that because of the HSA, I have to file a 1040 and attach a Form 8889 dealing with the HSA. Our bookkeeper at work e-filed my taxes for me today using an online tax service...

Can you file more than one w2 form on one nys tax form or do you need additional forms? [ 1 Answers ]

We live in nys and my friend has had 3 different jobs throughout the year. Does he file all w2's on one form or have a form for each?

View more questions Search