Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fames08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2009, 01:45 AM
    Alabama penalties
    What is the penalties for shoplifting in jefferson county Alabama?
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 3, 2009, 01:52 AM

I guess that may depend on what you shoplifted, in order to determine what the penalty may be! Under or Over the amount where it may be considered a felony?
    fames08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2009, 02:11 AM
    It was less than $20 and I'm 20 years old
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 3, 2009, 02:21 AM

To charge you with theft, the police need to show that you acted with criminal intent, meaning you knew the property belonged to someone else and knew you didn't have their permission to take it, and that you actually have or had possession of the property. They can do that by using physical evidence, such as security camera video in a shoplifting case, or by statements from a witness, an accomplice, or you.

It is likely with a theft under $20, that you may get a nomimal fine, and be required to pay back the business. They may however want to teach you a lesson, and give you community service time.

I hope this taught you a lesson! It doesn't matter who you steal from, it costs us all in the end.
    raynarambo Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Feb 3, 2009, 02:33 AM
    Don't quote me on this but the last I knew Alabama law allows the merchant to seek expenses for recovery of the merchandise and reasonable attorney's fees and court costs not to exceed $1000. So you have the possibility of being fined up to $1020. Not saying you will be, but that is the high end.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of Limitations in Alabama [ 3 Answers ]

My cousin gave me 700 in 2000 to help with medical problems with my brother. She is saying now that it was a loan and wants it back. I never signed anything. How long is the statute of limitation in Alabama if she takes me to court on a personal loan.

Right of Recourse in Alabama [ 1 Answers ]

I have heard about the term "recourse" and "non-recourse" where if you return the property to the mortgagee they have no recourse against the owner. How does that actually work in the state of AL from an owners perspective? Is there a legal article(s) I could read up on? Here is the scenario...

Grandparent right in Alabama [ 3 Answers ]

Are there grandparent rights in Alabama? If so what are the conditions?

Garnishment in Alabama [ 2 Answers ]

My husband's workman's comp check that goes into our bank account. A garnishment judgement recently took over $800 of that money from the bank account and intend to take more if we deposit his check into it. I called them and told them that he would let it go if they would settle for what they...

View more questions Search