Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SaraKammeraad Posts: 82, Reputation: 2

Jan 31, 2009, 10:17 PM
    How can I obtain police reports for a specific address from another state?
    Any information that anyone could give me at this point would be helpful and very appreciated. I would like to obtain police and complaint reports from Maryland.
    In 2006, I was involved in a domestic abuse report along with my mother in law.
    I would like to know how I can obtain that report as well as others that have happened at that address for the past 5 years. I currently live in Michigan. Thank you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2009, 04:54 AM
    Hello Sara:

Police reports are NOT public information. You may very well be able to get a copy of the one where YOU are a participant, but you'll get no others. Write the cops a letter and see what happens. I'd send my letter certified.

excon
    SaraKammeraad Posts: 82, Reputation: 2

Feb 1, 2009, 04:59 AM

As far as this situation goes, I am in a court case here which the mother in law started when I left there and came here. The court papers are basically for the court here. And they would normally be able to obtain the reports but being that it is a different state they can't, they have no jurisdiction, but my attorney said that I would be able to obtain them but she could not tell me how. In the case with the mother in law I was at no fault by her own admission and that shows that there was revenge involved and that is why she is trying to start crap here in Michigan. Very complicated situation, involving CPS, CASA, and several other agencies. I'll try to explain the best that I am able if you ask.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2009, 07:12 AM

If this is a Court case, then subpoena the records from wherever they are. The Court, obviously, will have to issue the Subpoena and your Attorney would handle it.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2009, 07:32 PM

It does not matter that the records are in another state. The power of the subpoena will obtain a copy of that particular address and time frame. Your attorney makes up the subpoena asking for particular records, the court clerk gives the paper the official seal, and then the subpoena is mailed to the police department in question. It would be a Subpoena Duces Tecum. In other words produce the documents asked for in the subpoena. The supboenaed records would then be mailed to your attorney's office and used in court if warranted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

False reports to police regarding tenant verbal argument [ 1 Answers ]

We have new tenants above us. They are constantly complaining and there have been more problems reported to the landlord in all the years I've lived there. I have lived in the building for 4 years and have never had a problem with any other tenants. We had an argument in one of the common areas of...

Need to obtain IP address from myspace messages [ 4 Answers ]

I pray to god that someone can help me with this one. Long story short: I had to put a restraining order on my boyfriend's ex. She was stalking us and threatened me several times with a gun. She sent me numerous messages on myspace telling me she was going to kill us, etc. she has also driven...

Simulate an specific IP Address [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I need to simulate an specific IP address... Let's say I have the IP address 85.98.*.* assigned by my Internet provider. What I need is to simulate IP 83.94.*.* for example. I guess one solution is to use a proxy server starting with 83.94... Is there any other possibility ? ...

Is America a Police State? [ 13 Answers ]

But, Mr. Speaker, my subject today is whether America is a police state. I'm sure the large majority of Americans would answer this in the negative. Most would associate military patrols, martial law and summary executions with a police state, something obviously not present in our everyday...

View more questions Search