Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallace bell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2009, 06:09 PM
    Light years from earth to jupiter
    How many light years are there from the earth to jupiter
    bones252100 Posts: 253, Reputation: 29

Jan 29, 2009, 07:30 PM

A light-year is the distance travelled by light in one year, which is 9 trillion, 460 billion, 730 million, 472 thousand and 581 kilometres. In other words, almost 10,000 billion kilometres.
    First, it should be said that a light year is a measure of distance, not time (which I know is a little confusing from its name!). The minimum distance between Jupiter and Earth is 588 million km (365 million miles). Since one light year (the distance light travels in one year) is approximately 5,870,000,000,000 miles, the minimum distance between Jupiter and Earth is 0.0000621 light years. However, Jupiter is not always the same distance from Earth!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2009, 04:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bones252100 View Post
    A light-year is the distance travelled by light in one year, which is 9 trillion, 460 billion, 730 million, 472 thousand and 581 kilometres. In other words, almost 10,000 billion kilometres.
    First, it should be said that a light year is a measure of distance, not time (which I know is a little confusing from its name!). The minimum distance between Jupiter and Earth is 588 million km (365 million miles). Since one light year (the distance light travels in one year) is approximately 5,870,000,000,000 miles, the minimum distance between Jupiter and Earth is 0.0000621 light years. However, Jupiter is not always the same distance from Earth!
    Just to make it a bit more of a manageable number, 0.0000621 light years is about 32 light minutes :)
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Jan 31, 2009, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace bell View Post
    How many light years are there from the earth to jupiter
    Light travels at 300000 Km per second.
    Planet Earth has an average distance to the sun of 152 million Km, so it takes light from the sun 8 minutes and 27 seconds to reach us.

The distance from planet Earth to planet Jupiter varies : an average of approx. 778 million Km. So it takes light from Jupiter some 43 minutes to reach us.

A light year is a gigantic distance : 1 x 365 x 24 x 60 x 60 x 300000 Km = 9,46 × 10*12 Km.

Within the solar system all distances are normally calculated in Kms, light hours, minutes, seconds.
    Outside the solar system all distances are calculated in light years or parsecs (= 3.26 light-years).
    Our Milky Way galaxy is approx. 100 Kilo light years in diameter.
    Distance to the nearest galaxies : Magellan clouds = 160 - 210 Kilo light years ; Andromeda (M31) = 2,9 Million light years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

NEXUS: The Jupiter Incident-Star Trek Universe at War Mod [ 1 Answers ]

I was surfing the internet when I came across a game called Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. There is a Star Trek mod for it called Universe at War version 2.2.4. I located a page with screenshots of the mod, but I couldn't find a download link for the mod. I am hoping someone here has the game...

Spectacular Sky Show: Venus, Jupiter and the Moon [ 6 Answers ]

FYI: "...for these final days of January and the first days of February will be an exceptional time for predawn sky watchers with a beautiful pairing of the two brightest planets, Venus and Jupiter. They will appear closest together in the dawn sky of Friday, Feb. 1, and a few mornings later,...

Earth three hundred years from now? [ 19 Answers ]

How do you envision the conditions of this earth three hundred years from now: 1. still divided by nationalism, 2. a nuclear holocaust wasteland, 3. or transformed by God into a global paradise earth without nationalistic boundaries?

The earth only 6,000 years old? [ 122 Answers ]

I was a leader in VBS this year at my church. We did the 7 c's of History... Creation, corruption, catastrophe,confusion, Christ and the Cross, Consummation. It was really interesting. I was wondering how many Christians believed that the earth is indeed only 6,000 years old and that God made...

Moons of jupiter [ 1 Answers ]

Can I see the 4 moons of jupiter by a 30 mm telescope in thecity light?

View more questions Search