Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    floridavictim Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2009, 03:31 PM
    Florida tenant, foreclosed victim, get back security deposit
    Here is another victim of foreclosed apt in Florida.
    My Apts were owned by a famous south Florida company which declared bankruptcy.
    I lived in the apt for 18 months on 7 months lease and then during the foreclosure process for 6 months, month to month until it was bought by new owner.new owner bought the apt in march 2008.I vacated the apt giving 30 day advance notice on Apr 31 2008 to the new owner.. I waited for June 10th and send a mail asking my security deposit of 350$ to the new owner.new owner said that the previous owner has ran away with all the security deposits which was like between 15,000$ to 30,000$(do not know exact figure as it had 300 units).
    The previous owner declared bankruptcy in May 2008. I had sent a letter asking for my deposit to the previous owner but no reply.at that time I thought I do not have any option.now that I came to your site I want to take some expert opinion on this. Can I sue the new owner for my security deposit of 350$.since the previous owner already declared bankruptcy there is no point in suing that owner. Thanks a lot in advance.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2009, 07:06 AM

Technically any deposit money is to be transferred to the new owner at the closing of the property. It is irrelevant that the previous owner supposedly "ran off" with all the deposit money. Sue the present owner of the complex. Have all your paperwork in order showing that you paid this in the first place. Small Claims Court. Worth the hassel if you win.

Jan 30, 2009, 10:17 AM

Thank you for your advice.the apartments is managed by a property management company.do I sue the owner or property management company.
    TIA
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2009, 10:32 AM

Well I may disagree with twinkle on this one IF>>>

The new owner bought the apartments from the bankruptcy court. ** and this was not a foreclosure if it went to bankruptcy.

So if it went to bankruptcy, then the security deposits did not travel with the property, and you are just out, or need to file a claim against them when they filed bankrutpcy.
    So if the new owner filed for bankruptcy and included the property, you are just out the money

Now if the property was foreclosed and sold at a foreclosure sale, then also the deposit money does not move with the property.

In both of those cases even the leases do not carry over.

Now, if the new owner bought the properties before they were foreclosed or before they wnet bankrupt then yes they will owe you your deposit.

Just not sure of the time line

Jan 30, 2009, 02:46 PM

First the apts was foreclosed by bank which is the lender.then new owner bought this from bank in foreclosure sale.after a month previous owner filed for bankruptcy citing no money to give to creditors.
    That was how it happened.thanks in advance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant in a foreclosed home - Florida [ 2 Answers ]

We have a kease until Nov. 2008 and were just served with foreclosure papers. Our concerns are that we will lose our last month rent and security deposit, which is what we need to move elsewhere. Do we have a right to break the lease and begin the process of looking for a new place. Do we need...

Florida law on real estate foreclosed with tenant never notified [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend that rented a house on Nov 1, 2007. The bank had filed for Mortgage Foreclosure on September, the Attorney did his due diligence, and sent summons for the unknown tenant as per statute, but landlord took the mail and the service from the property. He later advertized the property...

Do I have to pay back the security deposit to the former tenant? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am brand new to this site and just have one question. I appreciate any and all help. I took over a lease for someone in June 2007. She had signed a one year lease and wanted out 2 months later. I took over for her and she said that she did not want her security deposit back. ...

Return of Security Deposit in Florida [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Florida. I recently moved from a rental property. After the walk through, the property manager, not the landlord, stated the only things that needed to be done were a hole in one interior door and some touch up paint. When my landlord sent the security deposit and itemized list of what...

Florida Broken Lease by Tenant demanding her deposit + [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have been here before getting lots of help from you guys. I need help again. The tenant that broke the lease on me 3 days after signing the lease has now had a attorney send me a letter demanding that I send them 3 months of rent to the tenant saying I was holding her deposit illegally. I am...

View more questions Search