Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmjn7799 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2009, 08:22 AM
    Child Support Termination in NY State
    I was wondering what are grounds for terminating child support in New York State. If a child who is being supported drops out of high school, is that a reason for termination of child support? If the child has a child of his own before 21 years of age? Or if the child does not reside with the custodial parent?

JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2009, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tmjn7799 View Post
    I was wondering what are grounds for terminating child support in New York State. If a child who is being supported drops out of high school, is that a reason for termination of child support? If the child has a child of his own before 21 years of age? Or if the child does not reside with the custodial parent?

What does the actual Court Order say?

The general rule follows but there can be exceptions. In any event, you can only stop by providing proof to the Court and getting an Order UNLESS it's a question of the child becoming of legal age.

Child support stops when a child reaches the age of 21 or is earlier emancipated. The parents may agree to support their children beyond the age of 21, for example, until the children graduate from college.New York State Child Support Standards Act Guidelines: Child support in New York is calculated pursuant to the New York Child Support Standards Act ("CSSA") (Domestic Relations Law §240(1--b) and Family Court Act § 413(1)(b)).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2009, 09:36 AM

Yes you are going to have to go back to the orgianl court order and to be honest will end back in family court anyway over this. Merlely droping out of high school if they are under age normally has no bearing on it alone

And unless you get the court order chaged, not living with the one parent does not change the court order.

Time for an attorney and review your court order and to return to court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Termination of Paternal rights and child support [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend has been having problems with his sons mother for the past 14 years. He has not been able to see his son for the past 12 years and when he tried to see his son in the first 2 years she made it very difficult and even moved over 200 miles away to prevent him from seeing his son. Even...

Termination of child support [ 10 Answers ]

I have 3 children. One is 21 and in the Air Force, one is 18 and just graduated high school, and the youngest is 17 and will graduate next year. My ex wife contends that when suport was ordered, that it must remain in effect until ALL 3 graduate and or turn 18. My support was entered as 250 a...

Termination of parental rights and child support [ 2 Answers ]

If a parent decides to terminate parental rights, how are child support judgements and orders past and future handled?

State Support Termination [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I thought that state law mandates that child support ends when a child turns 18 but that is not true. My question is which psychotic states, other than New York, dictate a longer term?:

Child support termination [ 6 Answers ]

In 1998 my ex-wife divorced me. I was never served with divorce papers but my signature appears on the service form. Obviously this was forged. In the divorce I have been ordered to pay child support. I found out about the divorce when I received a garnishment letter in the mail from the...

View more questions Search