Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tricecakes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2009, 06:01 PM
    Furnace blows cold air and makes humming like noise
    I know very little about furnaces. The furnace started making humming noise and started blowing cold air. (It blew more cooler as time went by) I called hvac back out because they replaced the hiv thermostat 3 months ago and it cost $275 including labor. This time they said I have a bad blower and it will cost me $565 plus the $60 diag fee. I am wondering does this sound right. Should I have someone else look at the furnace. The furnace is only 8yrs old. I mentioned that to the co, they said the blower part is from 1993Any advice? Is there something else I can do because I don't have that much $ right now.
    Thanks.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 28, 2009, 06:13 PM
    If you have the skills to replace the motor you can probably buy a new motor and a new capacitor for the motor for 100.00 to 150.00. That will save you some $$$ but other than that I know of no option to fix it. If it needs a motor someone is going to have to replace it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Have a brand new carrier perf93 gas furnace that makes LOWD humming sound when on. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm told nothing is wrong with the unit. It was billed as a very quiet machine however it is so lowd it disrupts my living area. The intake vent is right between dinning room and living room. Have to speak up if it come on - TV volume has to go up because the humming motor sound is so loud. In...

Why cold air blows out of cold air return when furnace is on [ 1 Answers ]

Why does cold air blow out of the cold air return when the furance is on?

Furnace Blows Out Cold Air [ 1 Answers ]

I own a duplex and my tenants upstairs claim the furnace is blowing out cold air. :eek: I had the thermostat replaced and they said it helped but it still blows out cold air at times. I asked them if they had the heat up high and the furnace needs to cool down and they said no. I'm wondering if...

Furnace blows hot air for 3 min. Then cold for 3 ? [ 4 Answers ]

Furnace blows hot air for about 3-4 min. (burners all firing nicely) then burners go out but air continues to blow (cold) for 3-4 min. All registers are open and the pressure is VERY strong (small house - 6 ports) cycle repeats about every 10 min. or so. Also, what would the black plastic bucket...

Ceiling fan with light kit on separate switches [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently replaced a ceiling fan with light kit with a newer model. I hooked up the wires from the new fan/light to the same wires in the ceiling box that the old fan was hooked up to. There are two switches on the wall plate, one for the light and one for the fan. When I hooked up the new...

View more questions Search