Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gatorette85 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2009, 06:42 PM
    Can I use my laptop in the car?
    Just wanted to know if there was a way to use the laptop in the car and still be able to access the internet?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 27, 2009, 06:51 PM

The problem here is that you either have to use either mobile broadband or WiFi to get on the Internet. Since WiFi is very short range if you are in a moving vehicle you would be moving in and out of range of a hotspot.

With Mobile Broadband you hook into the cellular network. This will help maintain the signal like your cellphone does, but data is different then a cellphone call. Also Mobile broadband costs a monthly fee.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2009, 07:11 PM

Yep. Do it all the time.

There are a couple of options:
    USB tether
    Bluetooth tether

Aircard in Laptop or USB version
    A wireless router that accepts an Aircard (multiple laptops)

The USB tether is probably the best option for a single user because it charges the Cell Phone battery and you can make calls while on the computer too.

Generally you'll need a data plan.

Generally, the next problem is power. You can go the 12V to 120V inverter route or get an adapter from iGo.com - Power Adapters and Chargers for Mobile Electronic Devices.

IGo Laptop supplies used to be sold at RadioShack. Their adapters use a multi-input (12V, 120-240V, Airplane) and have a TIP that selects the power and polarity for your device.

The good part is, if you buy another laptop all you may need is another tip.

I have a few complaints with the iGo system:

1. The output cable is rather inflexible. I've had to buy 3 so far at about $20 each in about 8 years.

2. The tips don't positively latch into the cable. I've lost a few at $10 each. I now tape them with silicone tape. About $20 a roll.

3. The 12V lighter plug usually did not make a reliable to the lighter socket. The end can be removed to be used in an airplane. The last time the lighter end broke because of flexing, I replaced the end with an excellent one I obtained from Europe. It claimed it has a different airplane connector. The original cable lasted about 7 years.

IGo is not very receptive to complaints about their products.

I used the end (about 6") that plugs into their TIPS and an extremely flexible cable to replace the DC end of a broken power brick. Same problem. Flexing breaks the coax outer shield. I have been unable to find a power coax connector that will accept a diameter of about 1/4". The cable I am using is a 4 conductor with an outer shield. I did voltage drop calculations and using the 4 inner conductors and the shield would have the lowest drop. I'm using an inner pair for + and an inner pair for - and connecting the shield at one end.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 27, 2009, 07:41 PM

I also do it all the time, I have a aircard from ATT ( got it when they offered unlimited service)

Now it is somewhat costly, ATT and Version offers it locally for about 60 dollars a month

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting laptop to laptop using crossover cable [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently just bought a new laptop with Windows Vista.. and I am interested in transferring my files from the old laptop that uses Windows XP onto the new laptop. I purchased a crossover cable because I figured it would be the cheapest way to transfer. I am not too sure how to go about...

Connect laptop with XP to laptop with Vista [ 1 Answers ]

Easiest way to connect laptop with XP to laptop with Vista

Laptop to PC [ 1 Answers ]

How do I connect a laptop to a PC with cable internet access?

Which laptop should I buy? [ 1 Answers ]

I need to buy a new laptop. I’m currently using a Dell Inspiron 600m that I have had for about 4 years. I’m starting to have a lot of problems with it (the power cord must be plugged into the power jack at just the right angle for it to work and the jack where you plug in the network cable is...

Laptop screen repair? Useful life of a laptop? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an IBM Thinkpad X40. Have had it for 3 years Spilt liquid on the screen a while ago and now, although the screen works still, it has a kind of mottled tidemark effect and is dark in places (can also see where drops of water are permanently "stuck" behind the screen). Is this fixable?...

View more questions Search