Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imrunner Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 03:36 PM
    Testing outlet amperage with multimeter
    Can you test the actual amperage of a 120v home outlet with a multimeter?
    When I plug in an appliance over 10amps in the 15amp outlet, the GFI kicks off. I want to test the outlet to see exactly how many amps are available. Thanks
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 03:49 PM
    You are wasting your time trying to test the amperage on a vacant receptacle.

To determine the available amperage, check the breaker for that circuit. That's what limits the amperage.

The GFCI does not trip because of an inrush of amperage. It monitors the difference between in amperage between the constant Hot (Black) conductor and the Neutral (White) conductor. In a correct environment, if there are 5 amps on Black, there should be 5 amps on White. If the GFCI senses 5 amps on Black and 5.6 amps on White, the GFCI will open killing the power from the outlet.

To be honest with you, you really need to know what amperage is being drawn over the total circuit and then add the 10+ amps and see if you are creating an overload condition.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 06:49 PM
    Don is right on. The amps of the whole circuit are available at every receptacle or outlet on the circuit.

Here is my reply in the other thread you started: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...er-309024.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Testing for amps in an outlet [ 2 Answers ]

What setting do I use on my multimeter to test for the number of amps available in an outlet. For example, I want to see if a kitchen plug is split with 15 amps up and 15 amps down. Thanks, Erik

What is the correct way to measure for 220v on a multimeter at a wall outlet? [ 22 Answers ]

I am trying to install a tankless 220v hot water heater in my kitchen. There is a 220v outlet on the backsplash of the counter that was there when I moved in and have never used. I plan to use this as a 220v source. When I put the meter to the bare copper ground and 1 wire on the outlet I read...

Testing 220v outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! I have a 4 wire outlet in the garage which is used for a generator. Wire colors are Black, Red, White, and a Copper wire wrapped in paper. All the wiring is contained in a metal conduit. I just purchased a heater for the garage and it had a 3 wire plug. I disconnected the conduit,...

Testing an electrical outlet [ 13 Answers ]

When testing an electrical outlet with a circuit tester and all three lights come on, what does that mean and how do correct it? Thanks, Mike

Electrical outlet rating vs. Circuit breaker amperage rating [ 5 Answers ]

Hello to all, I am new to this forum, please excuse me if this question has been answered. I just bought a Thermal Dynamics Plasma cutter. It has a Nema 50-P plug end on it, which I assume is to be plugged into a Nema 50-R outlet. In looking in my reference book, this is a 3 wire...

View more questions Search