Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Big T Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 08:50 AM
    Furnace burner lights but goes out before the coupler gets hot
    Hello,
    My furnace (RUUD) Starts up properly sequentially. The power vent lights, the forced air begins, the glow plug lights , then the gas is delivered. The flames ignite. Perfect! Then the glow plug shuts down and the flame goes out. The timing of these evens seems to be incorrect. The glow plug is on long before the gas galve opens. There is little time for the thermo coupler to get hot. IF I HEAT THE THERMO COUPLER WITH A TORCH THE FURNACE STARTS UP PROPERLY.
    Is there a timer ajustment for all these funtions?
    Periodically the second burner will not ignite, Why?
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2009, 09:00 AM
    Maybe the thermocoupler is to far away from the igniter,, maybe the thermocouple needs replaced,,
    Periodically the second burner will not ignite, Why? Maybe the burners need cleaning and the gas orfface,, it's a hard guess without being there

Jan 25, 2009, 09:59 AM

Can the timing of the start up sequesnce be changed?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 10:12 AM
    can the timing of the start up sequesnce be changed?

No it is programed for proper sequence of operation.

Are you sure you have a thermocouple or a flame sensor. Since you did not post the exact model number it could be a flame sensor. I am including a pic of a flame sensor. They can all look different but the pic will give you an idea. Some of them do look like a thermocouple. If you have a White Rodgers system then you might have a mercury control .
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2009, 10:42 AM
    (quote)The power vent lights, the forced air begins, the glow plug lights

I had never seen a furnace with a blow plug and a thermocouple,, so I had to assume you know what you have,,
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2009, 10:44 AM
    hvac1000,, how do I get in on getting paid 5 cents each time you show that picture?

Lol,, :):):),

Jan 25, 2009, 11:08 AM
    It is only 2.5 cents. LOL

Jan 25, 2009, 12:41 PM
    It has an electronic igniter (glow plug?) the pic of the heat sensor with the end bent at a right angle is theone I have. So cleaning it will work?

Jan 25, 2009, 01:28 PM
    so cleaning it will work?

Cleaning it will work IF it is dirty and is not sensing the flame which is causing the unit to drop out. Steel wool,scotch brite pad,sand paper will shine it up and make it conduct better.
    greghvacguy Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Jan 25, 2009, 08:28 PM

You need to clean cross lighter for the burners. If all the burners don't light then it will drop out.

Jan 25, 2009, 08:56 PM

Cleaned the flame sensor. Seems to have fixed the problem, Thanks so much... its nice to have heat here when the weather is dropping to -1 f tonight thanks again, Big T
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2009, 09:57 PM

Good deal! I hear you,it's about 5 degrees here.

Jan 25, 2009, 10:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    cleaned the flame sensor. seems to have fixed the problem, Thanks so much...its nice to have heat here when the weather is dropping to -1 f tonight thanks again, Big T

I am glad the information I posted to you worked now you can keep warm.
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Jan 25, 2009, 11:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    I am glad the information I posted to you worked now you can keep warm.
    Admit it, you were just looking for an excuse to use that flame sensor pic again. So do they pay you on a regular schedule or is it an annual thing?

Jan 26, 2009, 01:48 AM
    It is like a public service job. Every two weeks. LOL

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My intertherm furnace pilot lights but furnace won't kick on [ 5 Answers ]

I need some diagnostic help. We have a full propane tank. A new burner plate (last year) and the blower works. We light the pilot but the knob should pop up after one minute thus lighting the furnace. It won't pop up. What part should we replace? The furnace is a 17 year old Intertherm MGH...

Oil Furnace.Burner goes out before fan comes on [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Miller oil furnace Model MSBA-066ABFO-05 that fires up and then shuts down because the fan takes to long to turn on. When this happens the reset trips on the controlor. The fan comes on shortly after the limit trips. When the fan is running if I push the reset the burner fires...

Water heater pilot lights, but not burner [ 3 Answers ]

I just purchased a house that was vacant for a year and had been Winterized. I lit the gas water heater pilot but the burner would not light. Now what?

Burner lights, but fan won't blow [ 4 Answers ]

Day & Night gas (NG) furnace Carrier 800-19A on stamped ID plate Forced air We just moved in. The furnace has worked just fine several times. We keep the thermostat on the lowest setting, manually cranking it up for those few times that we need heat here in southern California. This...

Oil Burner Furnace [ 1 Answers ]

The problem goes like this. Thermostat calls for heat, burner starts and runs for a minute or so and shuts off. After burner shuts off, the blower starts and the burner starts again until the thermostat reaches temp and the burner shuts off blower contiues to run until the low temp limit is...

View more questions Search