Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2009, 06:11 AM
    Is It Possible to Join a PVC Pipe With a Chrome Plated Steel One?
    Joining a PVC pipe with a chrome plated steel one. Is this possible? If so, how, please?

I'm referring to joining two pipes together, that fit right into each other, so that they're sealed in some way without using some sort of threads.

If using threads of some sort is the recommendation, then, that's okay.

Just looking to see if it's possible, and maybe legal, according to plumbing code, to do such a thing.

Thanks!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 06:26 AM
    Hi Clough...

Joining a chrome plated pipe to PVC pipe can only be done using a ferco coupling or a shielded clamp... see pictures. These clamps are not legal in terms of plumbing code, but are often used for repair work.

What does the chrome pipe connect to? As a plumber I would probably remove the pipe back to the threaded area and transition over to correct pipe and fittings that way.

Let me know...

MARK
    Attached Images

Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2009, 06:44 AM

Thanks, Mark!

It's for an upstairs, very small bathroom sink.

I cut off the chrome plated pipe that comes out of the wall at the flange(?) where it curved down to and adjoins the P-Trap a number of years ago.

Things got rusted or corroded, not sure which. But, I needed to cut it off.

Used the plastic or PVC P-Traps that anyone can get from any home hardware store. Has worked great! But, it's not something that's permanent.

Leaks eventually occur because of people bumping into the cabinet. That jostles the plumbing.

Have wanted to use the type of clamps that you describe, but there's the threads on the cheap P-Traps that I've purchased that get in the way.

Haven't been able to locate a P-Trap that doesn't have the threads.

I have no problem sweating pipe. But, I'm no plumber! Can do simple repairs. Have to do research in order to do the major things...

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 25, 2009, 06:52 AM
    Sorry Clough, we were posting at the same time. I'm assuming that we're referring to a chrome trap connecting to a PVC wall stubout. Another way, and this is how we do it in my area, is to use a compression fitting,(see image) in the proper size. This gives a cleaner more professional look to your installation.
    It's a different story if the stubout's copper. To connect a Chrome trap to a copper stub out there are two methods that you can use.
    1) You may use a brass Desanko, (see image) as a compression fitting, **or**
    2) Again, and this is how we do it in my area, we take a file and file off the chrome from the trap tail down to the brass and solder it in.
    there's the threads on the cheap P-Traps that I've purchased that get in the way.
    What threads on what type of trap? Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between schedule 40 and 80 steel pipe? [ 2 Answers ]

What is the difference between schedule 40 and schedule 80 steel pipe? Is it just wall thickness and if so what is it? Does the schedule of steel pipe just refer to wall thickness and is it always thicker the higher the schedule? Thanks

Looking for chrome pipe brackets [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing some 1/2" exposed chrome pipe in my shower. I will be adding a rain shower head about 3' (center of shower) away from the regular head. I have it planned and routed and have located all the chrome pipe, fittings, etc. Drilling and mounting to the tile is not a problem. I have been...

Soldering a floor supply valve when the chrome covers the pipe. [ 19 Answers ]

Hi there My bathroom water supply to the sink comes through the floor. I would like to replace it with a chrome plated straight valve. The chrome pipe slides over the copper pipe, which leaves the "solder seam" on the Up side (with respect to gravity) My question is: How to I ensure that the...

How to join copper tubing to iron pipe [ 4 Answers ]

I have gas/hot water heating system with radiators. I want to replace the iron pipe mains with copper tubing and adapt to the iron risers going up to the radiators. Is there a fitting to adapt unthreaded iron pipe to copper?

Leaking pipe - at join [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have noticed a leak in my water system. It is on the main cold water inflow pipe, a few feet after the stopcock, and it occurs at a joint between a pipe and a 'Limekiller' water softener. It looks to me as if the sealant where the two pipes meet is cracked or porous. How can I fix this...

View more questions Search