Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Jan 24, 2009, 02:01 PM
    Turning off the "service engine soon" light on Chevy
    We just got a 1998 Chevy Suburban with a 350 in it. It needed a little tweaking so we did it ourselves including changing the oil. I know when a Lube Place does that, they are able to hit the switch. Isn't there a trick to getting it to go off? All systems are sound, everything else is great. I seem to remember something like turning the key on without cranking the motor, put it in a gear, and hold down a button... does anyone know how to do it without having to unhook the battery? Thanks!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2009, 02:28 PM

Attach a code reader or scan tool to the Data Link Connector under the dash. Many auto parts stores will do this for free.
    damdash Posts: 79, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2009, 09:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey View Post
    Attach a code reader or scan tool to the Data Link Connector under the dash. Many auto parts stores will do this for free.
    Wouldn't pulling the fuse for the ecm do the trick? AZ and has stop clearing the codes because of federal regulations or something so the fuse or the battery is only way for me.
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2009, 09:26 PM

On simple cars, like my Civic without an immobilizer system, it's safe to do that. However, some cars can go into "lock-down" mode or certain settings can be lost and adversely affect performance, which annoys some drivers. Likewise, if the negative battery cable is removed, some people don't record radio codes first and it creates a big problem. Code readers are now reasonable enough that most people should really own one, especially for OBD II vehicles.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2009, 10:14 PM

On some cars, not sure about the chevy, but if you hold the odometer reset button while starting the car (assuming you have a digital odometer) and continuing to hold it until the check engine light goes off works.

I drive a 2003 acura and that's how I usually do it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 24, 2009, 10:46 PM

Well to reset the "change oil" light, on my Chev, you turn the key on without starting it, and press the gas pedal down three times quickly.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 07:38 AM

We're talking about the "service engine soon" light.
    That indicates a Diagnostic Trouble code (DTC) is stored in the Engine Control Module (ECM) to show that something is allowing excessive emissions.
    Nothing to do with oil changes or pulling fuses.
    AND it's not about just turning off the light.
    It's about something on your car is broke.
    If something has failed or gone significantly out of normal operating range, the light comes on the alert you that something needs fixed.

Get the code(s) read any where you want and let us know what is found.

Also, a little more info about exactly what did you "tweak"...
    johnny58 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 01:51 PM

Your '98 Suburban has OBD II diagnostics. The ONLY way to turn out the lite is with a scan tool. Sears Craftsman Tools has them on sale periodically.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 02:39 PM

Maybe, he original poster has not came back, and he was referencing that the oil change place would do it for him. So my opinion was he was merely miscalling it in the post if the oil change place always did it for him by some "switch"
    buggs0471 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2011, 08:33 AM
    I am referring to the service engine soon not the check engine light.there is a procedure just can not remember and have lost my manual.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 14, 2011, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by buggs0471 View Post
    i am refering to the service engine soon not the check engine light.there is a proceedure just can not remember and have lost my manual.
    Ibuggs0471, if your "service engine light" is amber or yellow, that is for a maintenance service interval and the reset procedure is different for each car line and even differs from model to model.

Tell us what you drive:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...le-303903.html
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2011, 09:12 AM
    To reset a Suburban's Service Engine Light, I turn the ignition switch to ON, slowly depress the accelerator pedal 3 times in 5 seconds, and then turn it OFF.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

95 Honda Civic "Check Engine" Light [ 15 Answers ]

Hi. Was driving my 95 Honda Civic LX (115000 miles) to work this morning when the Check Engine light came on. Car was not overheating, no obvious problem, oil level fine. Ran all day with no further problem indications, but the Check Engine light stayed on. What is the possible problems?? Note...

Reset "Service Engine Soon" light [ 4 Answers ]

Just bought a 1998 GMC truck. The "Service Engine Soon" light is illuminated. Is there an easy way to reset it myself rather than take it to a shop? Thanks, dbteeitup

2004 Nissan Altima "service engine soon" but already been fixed [ 5 Answers ]

I had my car worked on and replaced 2 oxygen sensors plus cleaning the sensors to get the service engine soon light off. It stayed off for about 100 miles then it came back on. I went back and they got it off. 40 miles later it came back on again. They said it may come back on 3 or so times before...

Nissan Altima "Engine Service Soon" [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Nissan Altima 1998; I have bought it recenlty... There is a sign telling me "Engine Service Soon!" What does it mean? Plus, the gas meter seems does not move! The needle on the gas meter does not move or barely moves! What shall I do?

"Service Engine soon light" is on [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My car is Buick Lesabra- limited 1992. "Service engine soon" light recent is on. It is scaned a Code 41------ "No camshaft reference signal". A garage guy changed a camshaft sensor for my car, but the light is still on. What else problem is it? How to fix it? Thanks.

View more questions Search