Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WildIrish Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2006, 08:11 PM
    Briggs 18hp won't fire
    Have an 18hp Briggs Twin that quit and would not start. After detecting a weak spark, replaced plugs and coil. Ran great for two weeks, now week spark again on new coil. Only get strong spark when one coil wire is grounded. Then the other gives strong spark. Could the starter be turning too slow? Is it possible to have two bad coils ? Need some advice
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2006, 04:53 AM
    Its not impossible to have two bad coils... it was a oem one right? Might be able to take it back if your lucky... Right now make sure the kill wire isn't grounding any.
    WildIrish Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2006, 05:06 AM
    Had to get aftermarket not briggs coil, so maybe got taken. Ground circuit works properly. Just wondering if there could also be a starter running slow problem. See a spark the odd time coming from bottom of starter when it is engaged. Other than that all seems in order. Thanks for the reply
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2006, 11:46 PM
    As long as its around 300 rpm, it should be good... I've seen them start just barely turning over.
    tonybug Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2006, 05:31 PM
    I would check for a good ground or ignition switch loose connection

Aug 10, 2006, 05:37 PM
    Check for proper ground or bad magneta

Aug 11, 2006, 04:16 PM
    Maybe a shered flywheel key
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2006, 07:08 PM
    Sheared key will still give spark, but grounding somewhere is a good thing to check.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

16 HP Briggs and Stratton won't Start [ 11 Answers ]

I was mowing the lawn a couple of days ago and the engine just died on me. I have good spark. I bought a new fuel pump and installed it but still no luck. I can squirt some gas in the carb and it will start right up, then die back off as the gas is used up. There is plenty of gas going through the...

16.5 briggs won't run [ 4 Answers ]

16.5 Briggs ohv won't run has gas but won't run if I spray starter fluid it will run briefly this engine has a fuel solenoid under the fuel bowl. Rich

Troy Bilt won't Fire [ 4 Answers ]

Troy Bilt Model #3AQ609G063, 18hp B/S engine Twin II (model # for engine is42A707). I replaced the starter,solenoid, and it has a new battery. When I turn the key nothing. I jump the solenoid and the starter turns. I jump the starter and it turns. There is plenty of gas getting to the carb but, no...

Briggs 14.5 ohv won't run [ 5 Answers ]

I have a yard machine mower that has been running fine. Last week it shut off twice in the middle of cutting but started right back up. This week when I went to cut it started as normal ran for about twenty seconds and died won't start again. If I pour gas in the carb it will fire up, so I know...

Briggs , no fire or fuel [ 1 Answers ]

No fire or fuel on a 14.5 briggs ohv mtd mower. If I disconect the 2 prong connector at front of mower going to fuel solonoid and coil, I have fire but no fuel.How does the fuel solonoid work and where does it get it's power from? I have no voltage coming from ignition sw to yellow wires at clutch...

View more questions Search