Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    allalone Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2009, 07:43 PM
    Heat pump making loud noise
    I have a Trane heat pump heating and cooling system. In winter when the tempreture is below 32F, the out side unit is making loud noise, very loud humming sound. That loud that bothers my neighbors. When I pure hot water on the out side unit and water gets into the fan and other parts the loud noise go away. What can cause this? Do I need to change the outside unit? It is most likely going to cost me more than $2000 :mad: and I need to avoid that. Any Idea?
    Thanks,
    Norah
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Jan 17, 2009, 08:24 PM

Does it just make the sound internittently or is it all the time

Jan 17, 2009, 08:32 PM

It seems that the nise start when the heat is off. When I put hot water on the unit the noise go away but next time when the heat comes on after it has been off for a while, noise come back on. Norah
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Jan 17, 2009, 08:57 PM

Heat pumps are not my specialty and yours is different than mine but they all have a reversing cycle in order to defrost the outdoor coils mine makes a beastly noise when it hits its defrost cycle. This could be causing your noise. Does the heatpump function well otherwise.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 17, 2009, 10:25 PM
    If the heat pump is operating properly you never have to put hot water on it to defrost the coils. You have a defrost problem. Timer,or reversing valve/reversing valve coils are usually the problem. Time to call for On Site service and get it fixed before you drive your neighbors nuts.

Jan 18, 2009, 09:31 AM

Do I need to change the whole outside unit or I can fix it?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 18, 2009, 09:50 AM
    Do I need to change the whole outside unit or I can fix it?

That is up to you depending upon which parts you need and how much it will cost as compared to a new one. The prices for all of this is set by local rates. You will need to get estimates locally.
    slope Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2010, 09:20 PM
    I have a similar problem. When it gets cold outside (39 *F right now), the outside unit makes a really loud noise for a few seconds as if it were starting a motor or blowing air through a clogged pipe... It's hard to describe. Is this normal? Other than that it works great, it warms the house--but I'm afraid one of these days that noise is going to be the unit breaking and leaving me in the cold.
    marylou37 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2011, 08:50 PM
    Same problem here. Mine works great, heating and cooling, just makes that loud noise. I just got it this past summer and since this is the first cold time we've had, I was worried about the noise. Maybe it is just the defroster, cause it only does it when it is REALLY COLD!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace (heat pump) making *really* loud noise. [ 2 Answers ]

Seeing as I don't know next to anything about heating/ac, I decided I'd post here to see if anyone had any idea. The setup is some old heat pump/furnace/water heater/etc, which all of a sudden at around 3:00am this morning decided to make a VERY loud noise. I had to shut it off (the furnace is a...

AC making loud noise [ 4 Answers ]

I don't know anything about air conditioners, so excuse me if I sound stupid. The part of the air conditioner that is in my basement (the part that is inside, not outside) is making a much louder noise than usual when running. It is still cooling fine, but the noise can not be normal. Please...

Heat pump out door fan making intermittent loud noises [ 1 Answers ]

My heat pump fan blade sounds like it is hitting chunks of ice and makes a loud noise every 30-60 seconds. There is ice on the outside of the unit. I changed the internal air filter last week. There is an ice/freezing rain storm outside. I have turned the unit off to stop it from damaging itself. ...

Heat Pump - Blowing hot air from outside compressor & making noise [ 3 Answers ]

My Carrier (M#48GS-003060) heat pump compressor all of a sudden starting making a loud humming noise tonight, when I went to investigate I found the outside unit discharging hot air. Why would it be making the loud humming noise? Is the discharge of hot air related to the noise?

Ac Making Loud Noise [ 1 Answers ]

My AC makes a loud noise when cycling. Also it never gets any cooler than 75. Could this be my compressor? How hard is this to fix yourself?

View more questions Search