Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carab1117 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 08:30 PM
    How far back can you sue for child support of your minor child
    I am a single mother in Iowa of a 16 year old son. 5 years ago we went through all the correct channels to stop the child support order. CSRU is unpleasant to deal with and we decided to handle child support ourselves. Needless to say this has not worked out. He made payments for about 6 months then stopped. I sued him, we went through mediation and I dropped the suit but then he never signed our mediation agreement and has paid almost nothing since then. In 2008 I received $20 from him. How far back am I entitled to child support from him? I don't want to bleed him, but the full burden is too much for me, and in all fairness he should have been contributing this whole time. Someone told me I'm only entitled to go back 3 months, but he was still his dad for ALL these past 5 years, plus I kept trying to work with him during this time with his empty promises etc. I'm feeling resentful.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 08:40 PM

I have never heard of an award of child support for money owed prior to the filing of the petition, but that could just be me.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 08:57 PM

Did you actually stop the child support order, or just the state enforcement of it. But it will be the court to decide if you went for that many years without a order and you yourself ended it, I doubt if you had agreed not to take any, that they will now let you go back to get it.
    ItWillGetBetter Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Jan 15, 2009, 08:53 AM
    Hello,

I actually just got a court order back in November (My daughter is 16). I have been waiting a long time to get an order and just like you there were empty promises endless excuses and so on. I also heard they may not go back too far but the judge actually went back too the day she was born minus what I told him he has given me (I remembered because it was not much). He did not show up but sent his financial statement so I think it depends on the judge.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 15, 2009, 06:05 PM

We really need to know if there is a current order in effect or not. That's what is going to make a difference.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 15, 2009, 06:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ItWillGetBetter View Post
    Hello,

I actually just got a court order back in November (My daughter is 16). I have been waiting a long time to get an order and just like you there were empty promises endless excuses and so on. I also heard they may not go back too far but the judge actually went back too the day she ws born minus what I told him he has given me (I remembered because it was not much). He did not show up but sent his financial statement so I think it depends on the judge.
    You really need to elaborate a timeline for this one because it has almost nothing to do with what the OP is asking from the sounds of it on the surface. It sounds like your order was a new one?? And the Op had a prior or existing order so your case may not be relevant. Hard to believe a judge would order support back 16 years.
    carab1117 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2009, 09:58 PM
    We had an order, then our son lived with him for one year my last year of college. We switched everything properly so I paid support. When my son came back to live with me we stopped it all and never re-initiated him paying me child support.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2009, 06:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by carab1117 View Post
    We had an order, then our son lived with him for one year my last year of college. We switched everything properly so I paid support. When my son came back to live with me we stopped it all and never re-initiated him paying me child support.

If you "dropped" it and there is no Court Order to be enforced then I see you filing for a new Order. Support in my State only goes back to the date of filing for the new Order.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Back child support [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is 23 and her father still owes back child support paid a lawyer to go after since she was seventeen the lawyer never has done anything papers were never served but lawyer took my money tried to get lawyer to pay me back. And never did. Bottom line how do you you make daughters father...

Back child support for adult child [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Texas collecting back child support through a child support collection agency for my two adult children. I admitted years ago to my ex-husband that one of the adult child may not be his but he never took the DNA test and could not get the other man to take the test. This summer I learned...

Back child support and social security disability back pay [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Texas and I am making court ordered payments fro back child support for a non-minor child. I will be receiving social security disability soon and was wondering since I am making payments will my social security back pay be garnished?:confused:

View more questions Search