Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vfitomt2 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2009, 06:00 PM
    Kitchen faucet keeps running when I use the spray hose
    When I use the spray hose in the kitchen sink, the pressure is weak and the faucet does not shut off like it should. Obviously there is some kind of diverter or something that is not functioning properly. Where should I look?
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2009, 07:22 PM

I believe you're on the right track. I think it is the diverter valve, too.

Check out this link:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbing/sink-sprayer-cant-find-how-get-diverter-valve-193179.html

Hopefully this will help you,
    WallyH
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2009, 08:07 PM

Most all diverters are in the faucet body, one or two brands had them in the spout where the aerator screws off.

If you have a single handle faucet you will have to disassemble the faucet and slip the spout up, that sshould expose the diverter in the from of the faucet if it is a delta. Some others the diverter will be down in the faucet.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2009, 02:39 AM

Hi, vfitomt2!

If you would let us know the brand and type of faucet that you have, it will help those of us who come along to address your question to help you the best.

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 13, 2009, 05:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vfitomt2 View Post
    When i use the spray hose in the kitchen sink, the pressure is weak and the faucet does not shut off like it should. Obviously there is some kind of diverter or somthing that is not functioning properly. Where should i look?
    As a rule the diverter's located in fromt of the valve under the spout, (see image). Remove the handle and spout retaining nut and pull the spout up. Clean out the crud from around the diverter and before you reassemble place a pan over the valve and turn the water on to flush everything out. Now reassemble and test the sprayer. Better now? Good luck and thank you for rating my answer, Tom

Jan 13, 2009, 05:46 PM
    It's a Price Fister. I took off the cap, but not sure about the retaining nut to get the rest of the spout fixture off. There is a thick white plastic ring inset, is that the retaining nut? If so, how do you remove it (looks like it'd take a specialty wrench).
    Thanks
    Tom
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 06:53 AM

I think once the spout is off you should be able to see the diverter. Look at this diagram and see if it is similar to what you have. The diverter is labeled 951-050.

Hope this helps,
    WallyH
    Attached Images

Jan 14, 2009, 12:35 PM

That's it - how do you get 931-100 off?
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 01:47 PM
    That's it - how do you get 931-100 off?
    I'm assuming you meant 931-900. :p
    Hmmm... I thought you wouldn't need to take that off to get to it. We need to hear from Tom (Speedball1) because he's the true expert here.

Good luck,
    WallyH

Jan 14, 2009, 04:29 PM
    Yes - 900. I get it disassembled to that point and it looks like that is the last piece before the spout comes apart. Looks like either way I'm going to have to take the whole unit off the sink (no biggie) but I don't want to strip that nut/lock trying to get it off.

Thx
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 07:18 PM
    Yes - 900. I get it disassembled to that point and it looks like that is the last piece before the spout comes apart. Looks like either way i'm going to have to take the whole unit off the sink (no biggie) but i don't want to strip that nut/lock trying to get it off.

Thx
    If it is good and dry, I would see if you could just get a firm grip on it and unscrew it by hand. It shouldn't be on there too tight, so don't put a lot of torque on it. I don't have the Price Pfister faucets, so I've not been in there myself.

Another thought I had is have you tried rotating the spout and pulling it up at the same time? There are some O-rings in there that make it feel pretty tight, but there might not be anything holding it down except for part #941-067 in the diagram. Just a thought...

Good luck!
    WallyH
    Rivethead Posts: 88, Reputation: 7

Jan 14, 2009, 10:04 PM

From their web site on removing the ring if you've not gotten it off yet.

7. How to Remove Plastic Retainer Ring

You can order the retainer ring tool removal (950-047) or you can use a 1/2" iron to copper female copper adapter and a pair of pliers over the adapter.

Jan 15, 2009, 04:23 AM
    Riveth... what web site was that (could you send a link)? My email is [email protected]. Thanks much.
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2009, 05:56 AM

I found this after digging around at Price Pfister - Customer Support | Get Your Faucet Installation Questions Answered. It looks like you might be able to remove this with some Channellock pliers (I'd be very careful). It's probably not your exact faucet, but I would imagine that the procedure is the same.

Good Luck!
    WallyH
    Attached Images

Jan 15, 2009, 09:57 AM
    THANKS TO ALL. I got the locking nut off and found out after that fact that I didn't need to. The stem/spout did just pull off the shaft so a lot of grief for nothing. So I got to the diverter and to my surprise it was fairly clean - no build up. There are two O rings on it and the outer one is pretty loose. Don't know if that could be my prob - but wouldnt' think so. Cleaned out as well as I could, reassembled and it works mildly better. I'll probably go to a plumbing store and get a new diverter this weekend to see if that solves it once and for all.

Thx for all the suggestions/help.
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2009, 01:09 PM
    THANKS TO ALL. I got the locking nut off and found out after that fact that i didn't need to. the stem/spout did just pull off the shaft so a lot of grief for nothing. So i got to the diverter and to my surprise it was fairly clean - no build up. There are two O rings on it and the outer one is pretty loose. Don't know if that could be my prob - but wouldnt' think so. Cleaned out as well as i could, reassembled and it works mildly better. I'll probably go to a plumbing store and get a new diverter this weekend to see if that solves it once and for all.

Thx for all the suggestions/help.
    That's good news! Another thought/suggestion: make sure your sprayer isn't clogged up with lime/gunk/etc. I don't think you can take them apart to clean, but you might drop the business end of it in a jar of Lime-Away or something similar to eat out any buildup.

Good luck!
    WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spray Hose on Kitchen Faucet? [ 4 Answers ]

How can I hook up a spray hose to a new kitchen faucet, which was not designed to have a spray hose? Thanks, Kavanaugh

Spray hose of kitchen sink doesn't stop faucet [ 1 Answers ]

When I use the spray hose attachment on the kitchen sink, the water still runs at normal pressure from the main faucet. Thank you

Kitchen faucet spray got no water [ 1 Answers ]

I have a delta single handle faucet and lately the spray does not have any water when I press it. I've replace with a new spray and still no water. I've also replace the diverter and no water seems to come out. Are there any other suggestion I could take to cure the spray problem. Thanks and...

Kitchen sink spray hose no pressure [ 1 Answers ]

My kitchen sink's spray hose has no pressure. I replaced the spray head and it sprays but water also comes from the faucet. What can I do?

View more questions Search