Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    policeman1013 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 11:44 AM
    Can a wife make her husband leave the home they share?
    MY father is mentally ill and non-compliant with his medications. He suffers from severe depression and has attempted suiside previously. My mother wants my father to seek help for himself or leave for good. Can she have him committed and if so how? Can she legally make him leave the home that they both share? If so what does she have to do?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2009, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by policeman1013 View Post
    MY father is mentally ill and non-compliant with his medications. He suffers from severe depression and has attempted suiside previously. My mother wants my father to seek help for himself or leave for good. Can she have him committed and if so how? Can she legally make him leave the home that they both share? if so what does she have to do?

What State? I most States, with proof from a Physician, you can get what is basically an evaluation order for a few days but then the person cannot be held against his will.

Your mother really needs to see an Attorney.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 04:07 PM

Each state has its own rules as to what is required to admit someone for evaluation on without their permission.

You should consult an attorney. AT some point the doctor may sign a order to send him to a nursing home is needed.

As for as kicking him out, you divorce and get the house in court.
    lauren6318 Posts: 36, Reputation: -3

Jan 20, 2009, 08:46 PM

My mother (PA) was committed by my father (shes bipolar). I grew up with my dad due to mothers mental condition. All he had to do was call 911 and they ask if he's seen her in the last 30 days (obviously) and they come and get her. Sad, difficult... very difficult.

Unfortunately we just don't know enough about mental illness to really be able to always make a clear concise decision. I'm sorry for your situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my husband evict a wife from his home in the state of Florida [ 6 Answers ]

Can my husband evict me and his minor stepchild in the state of Florida?

Wife on dependent visa and husband dies, can wife stay in UK? [ 1 Answers ]

Husband worked in UK for 7 yrs and wife has worked here about 5. Wife is on dependent visa. Husband got seriously ill and died recently. Is wife allowed to still stay in UK? What should she do to be able to stay? Can she apply for permanent residence? Husband is buried to UK and wife would like to...

Bi-polar, infertile husband, gives up on wife and life. (by wife) [ 17 Answers ]

I got married nearly 4 years ago. Recently I found out that my husband is bi-polar and has pathological lying disorder. Just before that. We took was out $27,000 for IVF treatment, and long story short he stopped working and would not get a job, created debt, lied about it etc. While I was going...

My dog cries when I leave, even if my husband is home. [ 2 Answers ]

My dog cries when I leave, even if my husband is home. He howls and carries on and then wonders around the entire time I am gone. I thought dogs only did this for attention or when no one was home. But no matter what my husband does, he won't stop. Do you have any tips on how we can fix this?

How to make my exboy friend leave my home. I live in Tennessee [ 2 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend and I lived together for 4 years. He has never paid rent but has paid half of the bills. I know longer want him in my house. I have asked him to leave but he just laughs. The house and land belong to me. I want him out now. He also raises fighting roosters and I want them off my...

View more questions Search