Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    natehook1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 12:57 PM
    How much power off a 20 amp breaker?
    I am currently remodeling by bonus room. The way it was built before 5 outlets and 2 wall mounted lights, window a.c unit , and a wall mounted space heater. I gutted the whole room down to the studs and ran new cup light off the main feed and ran a new line with a new 20 amp breaker ( keep light and outlets off same breaker) my ? Is I want to put a ductless heating and cooling in there can I run the power off the new feed? The things that will be on it will be 5 grounded outlets and want to put 110 volt ductless heating/ air system?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 01:43 PM

Here is a base chart of wattage usage to calculate your room usage and you can go from there
    They way the wattage works is your only supposed to use 80% of the available wattage in the lines for the safety margin/breaker
    So a single 20mp is 120x20 = 2400 watts. The usable is 19200 watts.
    A baseboard heater is 250 watts per lineal foot.
    I don't know if a permit was pulled hear but check on your local codes on outlet placement of how many per wall run. Here's its within 2 foot of a corner and every 6 foot
    14 gauge / 15 amp = 1,440 usable watts ( 80% of 1,800 watts in the line)
    12 gauge / 20 amp = 1,920 " "
    10 gauge / 30 amp = 2,880

Electrical loads
    defines as 3 watts per ft square for for lighting and a duplex outlet be considered as 1.5 amps of load. The electrical requirements of HVAC equipment is also over estimated. Motors are computed at their worst case amperage, regardless of their actual load or usage patterns. The largest motor is assumed to draw 125% of it's running load.

So try to balance tour loads and I personally like to keep the lights separate or some of them separate from the outlets that way you pop a breaker in a branch circuit but still have lights to see

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 13, 2009, 02:35 PM
    21boat, where are you getting these codes?

The 80% limit is for a single cord and plug load. The whole circuit is not limited to 80%.
    See NEC T210.24

Within 2' of a corner and every SIX feet?? I know a few guys from Pa and I've never heard this one. Could it be every isolated wall space 2 feet or more, and no point along a wall shall be 6 feet from a receptacle? Just like the NEC?

Also, receptacle are NOT considered a 1.5 amp load in a residence. For a residential load calculation general use receptacles are already counted in the 3 watts per sq/ft calculation.
    See NEC 220.14(J)
    Commercially they are figured at 180va per device.

Jan 13, 2009, 02:36 PM

Nate, what is the electrical rating of this unit?
    natehook1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 08:44 PM

Not sure if this is what you mean I just got this from the web 13SEER 9000Btu/h - Cooling & heating - 115V/60Hz/1Ph
    In the specs only thing I see for rating is the rating current which is A if I am correct. Acfactoryoutlet.com is the web page it's a Klimaire KSWM009-H113

Jan 14, 2009, 05:31 AM
    If you go to the page for that unit you see a specifications link. There you'll find the rated current which is 7.5 amps.
    A fixed in place appliance that shares a circuit with not fixed in place items can draw up to 50% of the circuit. You are fine at 7.5A on your 20A circuit.

I must say, if it were me I'd run a dedicated line to this unit simply to keep the load off the other receptacles, but it is not mandatory by any means.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 05:35 AM
    A dedicated line sure does make it easier for the unit to start since there will be no other load on that line at any time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit Breaker Tripped, but still have power [ 6 Answers ]

I have a circuit breaker switch that is tripped and I cannot reset it. It keeps tripping. I have checked all the lights in every room in the house and have power. I have not checked all the outlets, but if the CB is tripped the lights in the room shouldn't come on. I've checked my GFI outlets...

Replaced circuit breaker still no power to garage [ 5 Answers ]

There was an overload many times on this specific breaker, and we replaced it and there is still no power to the garage. It was a double switch 20 amp circuit breaker/fuse that was replaced, and the main switch outside to the power was shut off before we replaced the breaker. There was a severe...

Circuit breaker trips when little power being used [ 3 Answers ]

The circuit breaker that controls the downstair supply of lighting clicks off at strange times. The individual electrical items have their own breakers ie: lights, fridge freezer, TV and washing machine. The individual breakers do not click but the main breaker. It happens during the night when...

Breaker shows power but no power to outlets [ 1 Answers ]

I have a breaker that is showing power coming out but all outets and equipment on this circuit are dead how do I find the problem?

A/c power breaker tripping [ 2 Answers ]

I have dual a/c units to control the upstairs and downstairs of my residence. I have isolated my problem of no cold air to the breaker panel. I need help identifying what the possible reasons may be for the breaker tripping. There are two breakers (one coming directly from the a/c units with a...

View more questions Search