Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lookylu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2009, 02:39 PM
    How do you kill tree roots after more than 2 years after the tree was cut down?
    About 2 years ago I had a tree removed from my front yard and the stump ground. I was told that this was enough to kill the remaining roots. However, I don't believe that this is true since the driveway is cracking and splitting even more now than when we had the tree. One side of the crack is about 3 inches higher than the other and continuing to get higher. Also the walkway is slanted to one side. How can I take care of this problem? Is there a tree root killer that I can use at this late date? Thanks for any help you can offer!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 10, 2009, 02:42 PM
    Drill the stump and pour diesel fuel into the holes.
    This WILL kill it.

It does sound like you might have to dig the larger roots out if they causing this type and amount of damage.
    debyrenee Posts: 23, Reputation: 4

Jan 12, 2009, 06:54 PM
    I had the same problem last year, 4 trees were removed and stumps ground (like that helped, but make a mess) I bought Round-Up concentrated and pulled litle trees coming up, then sprayed almost pure concentrate into the ground where the trees were growing. I had big 5" round trunks and roots coming up underneath a pathway, so I drilled a couple holes in them and filled with the Round-Up. I have not seen anything come back so far. It has been at least 8 months to a year. I live in California, so the growing season is almost all year long. I'm pretty sure they are gone. I was amazed, I thought I would have to do so much more because we have a pool next to the where the trees were.
    Hope this helps, it really helped me and I think I got the info on this site.
    susananne Posts: 94, Reputation: 6

Jan 13, 2009, 08:09 AM

There is stuff you can buy called root kill.. follow instructions and it will die... unfortunatley it may be too late for the root problem.. you may have to dig deep to get them romoved... good luck
    Str8stack71 Posts: 94, Reputation: 10

Jan 13, 2009, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by curlyben View Post
    drill the stump and pour diesel fuel into the holes.
    This will kill it.

It does sound like you might have to dig the larger roots out if they causing this type and amount of damage.
    Yes, this does work
    bhanna1 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2009, 06:39 AM
    I agree with the person that suggested drilling deep holes (I used a 3/4" bit) and periodically filling them with diesel. Do this for two or three weeks, refilling them as it is absorbed. Then start a charcoal fire and place it right on top of the stump. You will find that the fire will cause all of the roots to burn, eventually turning them to ash. I found that it took several days as the roots just smoldered due to the diesel infusion. You may have to try this after using a type of 'brush killer' such as Brush B Gone by Ortho. One of the talk radio programs that I listen to suggests using Hydrogen Peroxide in the holes, saying that over a period of several years, it would cause the wood to become 'peffey' or rotten like. That's too long to wait in my opinion!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I kill the roots of an elder bush/tree? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a row of elder trees growing next to my fence approx 10 ft high. I would like to remove them without having to dig up the roots. Is there any way I can do this or any preparations I can buy to kill off the roots?

Again tree roots. [ 4 Answers ]

I have a huge maple tree on the border of my property. And have two concerns. Roots of this tree extend to my neighbor driveway. He plants to cut them out completely and put a new driveway (which starts 1ft fromtrunk). I am afraid that this will make tree weak and since it leans toward my house...

Tree roots [ 2 Answers ]

At least twice a year we have a backup in basement. The backup is everything for us flushing,running water, washing clothes. We have a someone come out every time and snake out the pipes. They all ways getting the trees roots when they did that. Any ideas how we can keep the trees roots clear...

How to get rid of tree roots after you cut the tree [ 1 Answers ]

We cut down some mesquite trees a few months ago. We would like to know how we could get the stumps to rot away. They are cut ground level. Do you have any suggestions.

Tree roots [ 2 Answers ]

I have just had a tree cut down but left a 15 ft. stump and small growths are appearing in my lawn. A person at my local Home Depot said I need tree root killer to stop these growths. Is this true or where can I purchase this root killer?

View more questions Search